Rage broadheads

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by waterrat, Oct 15, 2017.

1. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

I've been a loyal customer of rage mechanical broadheads for 7-8 years. They have been extremely efficient and I hadn't lost a single deer. Every deer I shot was a complete pass-thru. Last year they changed the design from an O ring keeper to a nylon ferrel. Ive shot 3 arrow into 2 deer this week and none penetrated more than 6". Their new design sucks. The ferrels take too much force to break open and rob energy. Unless, and until, they do something different I'm done with them. Anybody else have this problem?

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Sorry to hear that the deer are suffering for something the Rage engineers should have been smart enough to figure out before the new design went into production.

Good info for future debates on them, but I've never used a mechanical broad head.

Have a good season.

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I've not had good luck with Rage. First deer I ever drew on was a 163" whitetail last fall. 14 yd chip shot. No pass thru. Found the broadhead this spring. It was a 3 blade chisel tip. Only 1 blade deployed the other 2 are firmly seated by the one that did deploy. Basically only 1 blade doing damage.

2nd deer was a doe at 12 yards. Again no pass thru. Deer didn't make it 10 yards but upon cutting her open only 1 of the three blades deployed.

4. waterrat

Are you using the new models with nylon ferrule that slides over threads and holds the blades (Hypodermic) ? Or, the ones with the black o rings that hold blades pending deployment? Those older chisel points with breakaway o rings were absolutely devastating. I've seen a rage, which opens fully at something like 1 -7/8", rip a 3"-4" gash in a deer. These 3-4in gashes, one on each side, made for easy tracking and quick, mortal wòunds. I haven't changed equipment. Its same setup I've been using for over a decade. This is the only conclusion I can come up with.;

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  5. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

2 blade, single bevel, 225 grain and a heavy arrow.

6. cormier1

cormier1 Senior Refuge Member

I love the 1 3/4" grimm reapers. Always lots of damage for a clean kill.

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

8. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Black orings

waterrat likes this.
  9. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Guys,

I just ran across this article that discusses the new nylon ferrule and why/when it doesn't work right, and what needs to be done to use it effectively. Thought you'd like to check it out...

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/rage-...2NTUtYzk5Yy00MjJkLWIxM2MtMjdjMzEzZTY4OTdiIn0=

10. waterrat

Thanks for the info Woodie.