Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Rain south west of Moose Jaw?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by rancho bob, Jul 24, 2017.

1. rancho bob

rancho bob Senior Refuge Member

I'm starting the motions for my annual trip to Saskatchewan, this will be number 12. I started in 2005 it was exceptionally dry 06 too. Last year it was the total opposite to wet to get in the fields. We hunted pot holes 5 0f 6 days the hunting was great as usual but we only had 2 days of sunshine all week. Being from coastal prairie Texas we don't hunt dry fields and I really like the change. I was wondering if you had as much rain this year in that area. I'm going no matter what, just hate taking waders its 11lbs that I could use for other gear. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

The prairie portions of the Western Canadian provinces have been quite dry this growing season.

SASK Crop report July19 207 from http://mailchi.mp/farmlinksolutions/prairie-crop-conditions-qrcx6ctv84?e=5345773229

[​IMG]

Southeast
    Extreme heat is hurting the crop and capping upside on the yield potential. Crops have held up so far because of decent subsoil moisture, however stores are running out. Crop potential is well below last year at this juncture.

Southwest
    Many crops in the region are heat-stressed and thin with some stunting and premature heading/flower. However, despite the heat and lack of moisture, crops are holding on surprisingly well. Crop yield will be affected, especially on crops that were flowering during the high temperatures, but far from a complete write off today. Pea harvest will begin within the week in Southern pockets of the region.

Northwest
    Moisture in this area varies greatly, small areas have sufficient moisture for now, while other parts of the area are very short. Canola crops are in full flower, with some flower blast reported this past week due to the heat. Peas are getting hit hard with the hot weather and wind, and are changing color quickly. Yield potential ranges greatly in the region.

Central
    The area continues to get small spotty rainfalls. Growers are busy spraying fungicides and pesticides for aphids. Crops are at normal development stages for this time of year, however yield potential is lower than last year at this juncture.

Northeast
    Rainfall is needed in pockets of this region. Crops in the Northern portions of the region are behind normal development pace. Canola and peas are starting to bloom. Cereals are heading at this time. Yield potential is worse than last year at this juncture.

3. rancho bob

rancho bob Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the reply, I was being lazy, I researched it further that night and it looks like SW Sask. had about 10",250mm of rain by this time last year. This year its about 4" or 100mm, I think a lot come in a couple of storms. Should be a little drier this year allowing us to drive in the fields and get wear the birds want to be.