Raised Comb?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by gglenn13, Feb 7, 2018.

1. gglenn13

gglenn13 Refuge Member

Just curious what the purpose of raised combs are, particularly the raised Comfortech comb as seen on the Benelli SuperSport. Reduced recoil to cheek? Anchor point? POI change?

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Raised combs have one purpose: to adjust POI/gun fit.
    A comb that is soft enough to effectively reduce recoil to cheek is too soft to be effective as to consistent gun fit.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That could be true Tuleman but the reason for a higher comb is to elevate the POI ! This should be done AFTER the gun is fitted to you , making sure
    your eye is in a TRUE Line down the center of the Barrel / Rib . Note though , as to how much of the rib you see , determines how high your POI will be !

4. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I had an adjustable comb installed on my side by side. It was done to get the fit correct. You can move the comb up and down as well as side to side.

5. gglenn13

gglenn13 Refuge Member

Why would Benelli want a raised comb on their SuperSport if it makes the gun shoot more high since they already shoot high with the raised rib?

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Is it simply raised, or is it adjustable?

7. bill cooksey

A raised rib doesn't necessarily make a gun shoot high. Usually it has more to do with target acquisition. Depending on the gun and person, a raised comb could be necessary to make the gun pattern as desired.

8. gglenn13

gglenn13 Refuge Member

It’s just a fixed, raised comb. The stock is modular, allowing for either a flat rubber cheek piece or the raised one that I mentioned.

9. bill cooksey

Depending on several variables, a raised comb may be necessary. From the photos, the rib on the gun in question isn't really all that high when compared to a lot of trap guns. Guns with those freakish ribs often require extremely high comb adjustments to get the eye aligned properly, but man can you pick up a target quicker with those ribs.

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's it Bill , as you know , taller ribs are kinda fashionable these days over matted ribs but the idea behind them is target ( that 's Clay target ) acquisition
    with less barrel obstruction ! My KS 5 does have a tall rib but it's like a under-single , that for me , shoots 60/40 without raising the comb much . Either way
    of positioning the comb is to change the elevation of the POI . Proper Gun Fit is the starting point , then because of the games you shoot , comb adjustment
    "sometimes" will be a benefit for success !

JP and bill cooksey like this.