New York Flyway Forum Sponsors

ramp situation on the finger lakes

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

anybody hearing anything about the ramps freezing up on Cayuga and Senaca and the smaller lakes east of Cayuga? was thinking of making a trip... but its 4 hours and access is everything... wanted to do a 2 day hunt somewhere for the divers.... I know last year the last week the south end ramps were frozen in on Cayuga...

hope the hear from someone. Im going to call the marinas and parks offices, but sometimes they are not staffed now and or they don't want to give out info to potential hunters

bob

2. finster52

finster52 New Member

Last week, Friday I saw a boat on the lake south of union springs. I think they were nuts, 5 guys dog 3 footers. The ice is well past the springs now. We are frozen out. You will have to drive to ramps. Check. I can't get an answer either. Safety first. Good luck.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

My buddy was talking about hunting the James River in Va this week. I told him single digit temps, current and ice aint good. If I had a bigger, high freeboard boat with a back up motor, well then ok. Dreaming for a Goliath. I was good all year, exceptionally good but Santa forgot my Goliath.
    Be safe boys.:tu

4. Bob Johnson

theres a ramp In aruora, I think..... I know the water depth drops off fast, but you only need 100 yards of huntable water depth to decoy birds... hopefully the wind will keep the sound end from freezing too fast.... access!!!!!!!!!!!!!...3 footers is nothing to run the boat in, but it would suck to sit in!!!!!!!

5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Guys on the NY waterfowl facebook group said they broke ice at the boat ramp on seneca last weekend. Didn't say what ramp.

6. Bob Johnson

I got a hold of a woman at one of the park ramps and she said it was frozen in the protected area around the ramp but as soon you passed the closed in protected area to the lake, it was open water...

the other ramp , no one answered the phone

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I love woman ramp managers. They are so sexy.

8. grousefeathers

grousefeathers Senior Refuge Member

Where you driving from?

9. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

That's just wrong Bob. The weekend around here shows single digits day and night so if it's the same around the Finger Lakes it might be tough to find an open ramp, but if you do the shooting could be super.

10. Bob Johnson

Dutchess county

but as each day goes by the ramp situation worsens, if no one has been using the ramps... I know there are guides who hunt the fingerlakes if they are launching daily , they could be keeping the ice thin at the ramp! it looks like its going up to the 40's next week, but the damage might have already been done....its futile to drive 4 hours just to check the ice thickness.....seems to be a lot of tight lips in that area ! ha ha ha