New York Flyway Forum Sponsors

ramp situation on the finger lakes

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Jan 3, 2018.

1. grousefeathers

grousefeathers Senior Refuge Member

It is hard to post info on a forum without giving up too much info. There is one open launch on Cayuga and two on Seneca that I know of. But with the conditions a second truck, tow ropes, salt, sand, and shovels are usually brought to be sure you do not get stuck. Also a safe boat, too many people bring boats that are not suited for the conditions in sub zero weather

2. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

I understand..... the truth of the situation is that its a fine line from making a better hunt or making misery in the area. as one boat having the end of the lake to himself is horrible.... but three boats maybe even four, keeps the big flocks from making a mini refuge where you would be just a bird watcher....then of course youd have to have all guys with common sense involved.....knowing how to walk the tight rope of settling in or flocking up someones set..... I ve only been on one of the lakes and its deep except for the ends.... last year the lake looked like it was well below normal water dept...is it like that this year as well??

3. grousefeathers

It’s normal for this time of year, just more ice on the ends of the lakes. There are plenty of coves that offer good hunting and there are plenty of divers and mallards on the lakes, the only problem is Saturday is supposed to be windy and extremely cold. Sunday warmer but the wind is still iffy at best

4. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

A post in the NY waterfowl facebook group said taughanock or however you spell that was open. It was posted on 1/2/18.

5. Bob Johnson

good to know, but its like a 9 mile run to huntable ground.. with the depth of the lake near there..i think 100 foot depth are within 100 ft of the shore all through there... a doable trip on calm days...but 9 miles into a 15 mph wind in 5 degree temps...... youd be a 2000 lb ice cube before you got to your destination ha ha ha

6. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

Going with a guide on Sunday/Monday, I know it doesn't help you now but I will report back Tuesday let you know about ice conditions.

7. grousefeathers

That’s why I am not going this weekend, too dicey with the weather

8. Bob Johnson

it would help, because Im now thinking of skipping the two trip plan this year and might just go wed and thur or thur and Friday this coming week

bob

9. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

I'll let you know what I see.

10. grousefeathers

Going to be high winds Wednesday, what kind of boat you using? There is a couple of launches that may be open to keep you protected but being on the open water you might be in 4 to 5 footers this week