New York Flyway Forum Sponsors

ramp situation on the finger lakes

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Jan 3, 2018.

1. grousefeathers

grousefeathers Senior Refuge Member

I have a twenty ft self bailing plate boat with a sealed floor and even with that I would not hunt without scouting the launches to find the southern most launch that is open.

2. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

yeah I got a boat that can handle most water. 22.5' with 2ft adjustable flotation pods, 8 ft beam, 150 hp outboard with jack plate, has a seasonal permanent blind on it, and it holds 26 gallons of fuel. about the only thing Id incur on the finger lakes that I normally don't encounter, would be the boat loading with ice..... but it can carry a LOT of weight, just got to watch for how high the ice sticks, the blind could theoretically get coated with an inch of ice or more on a windy sub 15 degree day!.........I may just subordinate this season... If I had a crew that was die hard, id be all in...but no one wants to go from my area.

3. grousefeathers

grousefeathers Senior Refuge Member

I have the same problem with my hunting buddies, fair weather teal hunters....lol. The cold definitely weeds out a lot of hunters, I go in most conditions although high winds from the southwest usually do me in from my location.

4. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

Had to Launch out of Taugonack Park, not sure if I spelled that right, the guide said everything else was iced over. Did well on Sunday, not so good on Monday. quite a few redheads around, not many mallards where we were, fair number of bluebills, and a couple cans.

5. 1bigduck

I'll bet the warm weather coming shuts the redheads down. Had it happen on one of the other lakes a couple years ago.

6. Bob Johnson

you can only shoot two... so that's basically one flock if you have a crew that's under control or not too big.... you don't need 1000 coming in , although the visual is worth not even shooting! then you have the puddlers and golden eyes and scattered other divers... that tend to break off the red head pack.....it could suck if everyone is within a 1/4 mile of the ramp.... if gunners would have been using some ramps they would not have frozen over possibly.... no use for a week.. and the ramp becomes impassable......

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I thing the Coast Guard should be opening up ramps and keeping them open. Just sayin.

8. Bob Johnson

my guess is their philosophy is just the opposite......discourage launching in these conditions , and their job will be easier!.. they have an Auxilary Station right in Ithaca! that would be great if they could keep that end open!

9. 1bigduck

True, but your right the experience of seeing several thousand redheads is worth it. Not many puddlers around this year, was disappointed, the two cans we got were a nice surprise though.

10. Bob Johnson

thinking I may just pass this year, its predicted to be 16 mph winds from the NORTH maybe turning NNW by midday, on a long skinny north-south lake, and few huntable lees, and guides needing to work their trade, and a maiden trip from the only open ramp..... just presents a stack of hassle.... if the Ithaca ramp was open I wouldn't care too much about those issues.... not going to run 9 miles in 16 mph winds...just don't want to do it. wonder what the Gusts will be.....I got to believe the lake is stinking with ducks though! One good thing about a dynamic coastal shoreline with many islands( where I usually winter hunt)...is there is always plenty of lees someplace not far! thanks to all those who replied...good hunting