Ran the new Gator-Tail Boat

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Rebel Steel, May 9, 2005.

1. Rebel Steel

Rebel Steel Senior Refuge Member

I traded up from a 27 Kohler and a 15’ boat to the 35 Vanguard Gator-Tail and the 18x46 Gator-Tail boat. I ran it this weekend for the first time, and can’t wait to get back in it. It planes off and runs smooth and shallow real quick. The handling is excellent and the new rock skeg is bad to the bone. Kudos to Kyle, Hoyt, Tony, Lisa and the whole crew at Gator Tail.

I ran up a section of river that I have never been able to get up in before, skimming right along in 5 to 6 inches of water with sand, silt and rock bottom. The 35 GT has real good response. I was able to cruise on plane at ¼ to 1/3 throttle and goose it up quick when needed. The load wasn’t big, only two good sized guys, a tank of gas, push pole, a couple coolers, and two batteries. With that it popped up on top as soon as you turned the throttle up from idle. Fun to Run!

Y’all don’t tell anybody about these because I like to be able to get away from the crowds. :cool:
    Reb'

2. sandman7655

sandman7655 Elite Refuge Member

im am glad it ran good.it was a sharp ride for sure.i got to run my hunt deck last week and it is the bomb.sound like i need to follow you up the river and catch a few fish :dv
    glad to see you runningt it talk to yah later :tu

we are about to launch the 15 footrer with the a 40 jet it should haul arse.

3. Buck Mark

Buck Mark Senior Refuge Member

sounds like you got the perfect setup,and i don't blame you for staying away from the crowds. :tu

4. pwhnts5

pwhnts5 Elite Refuge Member

Congrats Reb,

Glad to hear you like the new rig, sounds like a great combo.

PW

5. Oden

Oden Senior Refuge Member

Sounds sweet. :tu

6. cutt-down

cutt-down Banned

Well, post some pics! Sounds like a nice rig. You'll enjoy it! :tu

7. Rebel Steel

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking forward to getting into some more new territory this coming weekend.

Cutt I'll try to remember the camera next time. Let's see, one hand for the tiller, one for the beverage, and one for the camera... :nutz

Sandman & Buck let me know if you're back this way I'll give you a tour. Let me know how the jet does. I understand you have to get the foot set at just the right level for best performance - I've never fooled with one, but toyed around with the idea. Hope it cooks for ya.
    Reb'

8. Buck Mark

Buck Mark Senior Refuge Member

thanks Reb, i'll keep you posted of the results of the boat once i get everything setup.

9. Duck-n-Fool

Duck-n-Fool Senior Refuge Member

Is it a square chined boat or rounded chines? If it's squared, does it slide bad?

10. Rebel Steel

DucknFool,
    It's a square chine with a single center keel. So far I haven't been able to make it slide :l yet. But, not for lack of trying. :dv I whipped it around through some pretty tight turns at high throttle and it really tracks nice.

So far I am very well impressed. The combination of the smooth bottom, square chines and center keel has a lot going for it. It planes off fast, with the extra surface, and the keel really makes it track. I'll try to get some GPS numbers in the next week.

The only downside so far with the new setup is that the 35 Vanguard is definitely louder than the 27 Kohler. :cry It also has a lot more torque and throttle response. :yes I definitely would not go back to the smaller engine. :cool:
    Reb'