Ranked Voting

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by stump, Jun 13, 2018.

1. stump

stump Elite Refuge Member

I have been reading a bit about this. All in all it seems like a pretty good system. Obviously Maine is having some fits over it.
    I like the idea of ranking the candidates, but, 50%+1 is required... to declare a winner... a bit tough when you have 10 candidates ... i think i read it right.

What are some of the thoughts on this system? I am not familiar with it, but it seems like it may be the new future.
    Good??? Bad??? How to make it better?

2. Rolen_Zen

Rolen_Zen Senior Refuge Member

It seems pretty complicated and not sure the majority of voters would like it. Plus, it gives the Russian's more of a chance to hack our election process and choose our candidates for us.

From Wikipedia

Instant-runoff voting[edit]
    Main article: Instant-runoff voting
    Used in national elections in Australia, this system is said to simulate a series of runoff elections. If no candidate is the first choice of more than half of the voters, then all votes cast for the candidate with the lowest number of first choices are redistributed to the remaining candidates based on who is ranked next on each ballot.[10] If this does not result in any candidate receiving a majority, further rounds of redistribution occur.[10] Or, in other words, "[...] voters would rank their first, second and subsequent choices on the ballot. The candidate with the fewest votes would be dropped and his or her supporters’ second choices would be counted and so on until one candidate emerged with more than 50 per cent."[11]

This method is thought to be resistant to manipulative voting as the only strategies that work against it require voters to highly rank choices they actually want to see lose.[G&F 1] At the same time, this system fails the monotonicity criterion, where ranking a candidate higher can lessen the chances he or she will be elected. Additionally, instant-runoff voting has a lower Condorcet efficiency than similar systems when there are more than four choices.[G&F 2]

3. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

To be honest, I'd never heard of the "Ranked Voting" concept.

Well, after reading the Wiki description (which pretty much describes a version of mathematical masturbation) and considering the proposed departure from the KISS approach... would it lead to death by self inflicted arithmetic? :scratch

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  4. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I expect it would go a long way toward eliminating the two party system. I like the idea over a top two runoff like California is doing.

5. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

6. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

It would be a less expensive way to run an election.

Sounds like a quota hunt process. Maybe the Game and Fish could run it.

hartfish likes this.
  7. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Ranked voting perpetuates a majority dominance not giving minority candidates an opportunity! We had this debate recently in my city because council members are being elected with 18-20% of the vote total. With ranked voting or multi choice voting it takes away the principal of Democratic Republic that this nation was founded on and the principal of one vote per person!

For a better understanding you have 7 candidates 1 conservative 6 liberals with different agendas. The conservative goes out busts his butt getting voters to turn out for him. Gets 22% of the vote yet he would lose in the ranked system or multi choice system! Some say this is more representative but in truth it stifles minority representation.

Our council voted down going to this method, now the activist are pushing it via a ballot imitative. Don't think it will work out for them feed back is that other than a small segment it is not very popular. People want their vote to matter, ranked removes it and enables a majority to expand its influence!

Run offs while costly are still the best way to achieve a balance of proper representation!

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I think we should do a reality teevee show for voters. Something between Road Rules and America's got Talent... Make them live together, and come out at night and show off what they got.

widgeon likes this.
  9. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Or election night Jeopardy!

10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

....but with guns.

widgeon likes this.