Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Rat Bastar....

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by jfe, Feb 23, 2005.

1. jfe

jfe Banned

OK, I enjoy the plight someone else as much as the next guy, but I can also see the humor in my own pains. Therefore, I figured that I would share this struggle with you, so that you might get a little joy from my pain.

Here's the story:
    A couple of months ago, I detected a couple of little black "surprises" on the floor in one of my back bedrooms. I also noticed a small hole chewed in the bottom of the dog food bag which is also in this room. No big deal, I've got a mouse. No problem, I thought. I went to Home Depot and got some traps (4 to be exact) and strategically set them in the room. For about 2 weeks, I would come home from travelling to find 1, 2, or sometimes 3 of the traps tripped without the first sign of the little bugger. So I go back to Home Depot and Pick up some larger rat traps and some glue boards - I'm starting to get ****ed. Set the traps and glue boards and again, off I go - travelling for work.
    I come home to find the traps tripped and empty - PI$$!!! Next I check the glue boards. Now keep in mind, I placed the boards on a piece of cardboard (to keep the glue off of any carpet) in the middle of the room with some dogfood "bait" between them. Well, the bait worked. One of the glue boards was flipped upside down - OF COURSE IT WAS ON THE CARPET - about 3 feet from its original position. I got the board up and it was absolutely covered in hair. I mean whole big chunks of it. I didn't get the rat, but I took solice in the fact that I now knew that there was one sore, bald rat that was probably running for the hills - or at least the neighbors house.

2. jfe

jfe Banned

Just to be sure, though, I went and got two new glue boards and again, set my traps -- just to be on the safe side.

I was gone for work again last week and I knew that this would be the test. I came home to find not one sign of him anywhere. No droppings, no traps sprung, no glue boards disturbed. At last! He's gone.

Nope.

I get home yesterday and I see that one of the glue boards is again upside down, ON THE CARPET, about 3 feet away from its original position. Again, no rat to be found. The dog blushed at the word coming from my mouth.

I picked up the glue board and luckily, most of the sticky substance came up with it. There were, however, two "chunks" still firmly attaced to the carpet.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that these "chunks" were not just globs of glue, but rather, two pieces of the rat's tail. ***** sick, dude. This mofo chewed off a section of his tail to get away not once, mind you, BUT TWICE!!!

If you think that your stomach can handle it, I've attached pictures. I just want to make sure that you guys have the full picture here of what kind of beast that I am up against.

Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm about ready to set my house on fire to get this SOB.

3. jfe

jfe Banned

And now for the sick pictures....

Go ahead and open them -- you know that you want to.

Welcome to my nightmare

4. timber71

timber71 Moderator<br>Alabama Forum

maybe you need to buy a bunch of them glue traps and put em all together like a hardwood floor is put together and then some way or another he is bound and determined to be on one of them. thats what i had to do last summer and it worked :clap

5. Pondhunter

Pondhunter Elite Refuge Member

I had some of the little ones in my garage last winter. I had the glue pads out and the neighbors cat came in one night before I closed the garage. The poor cat was last seen limping down the road with a glue pad attached to his front right leg and the right side of his face. Poor little fellow. :cry

Try stapling the pads to a larger piece of wood.

6. jfe

jfe Banned

ya'll be on the lookout for a bald, stubby tailed rat...

let me know if you find him. This is now personal.

THIS IS WAR!!!

7. dixielabs

dixielabs Elite Refuge Member

My sister's little poodle tried to get the bait off of one of those sticky pads.

At first she got her fuzzy front paw stuck in it and then she thought she would get it of with her mouth... :eek: I think they pulled out half of her hair trying to get her a loose from it. :l

8. markethunter

markethunter Elite Refuge Member

You are going about this all wrong.

Take one of your rat traps and a file and get that sucker to a hair trigger. Work on it a little bit like a mad scientist out in you garage till you can just about fart on it and it will go off.

Next put some peanut butter on that trigger and smear it round. Coat it good especially under the bottom.

You might need a smaller trap. That could be one problem.

Next don't put stuff int he middle of the room. Rats and mice run along the walls and baseboards.

Take your trap and put it in a corner or under the lip of the cabinets on the floor lengthwise against the wall.

Sit back and wait.

You'll catch it in a day or two tops.

I got 3-4 in my house at one time last winter. They came from under the house around the kitchen drain. I use to keep the garbage can under the sink.......

Use to. :tu

9. markethunter

markethunter Elite Refuge Member

If it's really tough.......

I also found that if you take 2 shoe boxes and make a chute for the trap in there by placing them in either side of the trap and up against the wall the rat can't work the food off the trigger by moving around to the side as easily and he'll set if off especailly if he goes around to the side....... He'll bump it or put too much pressure on it.....

It's amazing they can get that food off there without setting it off.........

Peanut butter. And smear it up in the paddle where the rod hangs to form the catch.......

.............. :D

SNAP!!! :yes .

10. birdartist

birdartist Elite Refuge Member

youre getting soft. offering to help like that is not your way. :fp