Re-intro

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by egadwall, Jul 1, 2017.

1. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

I've been on the refuge forum back into the early 2000s, but taking a job in Asia for a couple years, moving from one place to another after coming back to the US, and giving my decoys and boat to kids who could use them when I couldn't ... well, I've been away for a lot of time.

I've duck hunted (and lived) in Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado in the 80s, Minnesota in the 90s and and early 00s, and tried a bit (with little satisfaction) in Wisconsin later in the 00s.

Moved back to Nebraska and am looking to get back into it this fall, at least on a limited basis, with my son-in-law who has never hunted ducks. My sons (hunting partners for most of the time in MN) are still in MN, and the Brittanies, American water spaniel, and Wirehaired Pointing Griffon that were my companions have all passed on.

If you see an older dude hunting by himself in a spot where he can walk in and not have to worry about the ducks falling where he can't retrieve them, or with a 20-something pretty good kid, wave and come on over for a cup of coffee. I'll take the ducks on the right, you take the ducks on the left, if they come in during the coffee break!

2. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Where are you located?

3. egadwall

I'm in Lincoln, now. From 84 to 87, lived in Grand Island.

4. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Well that's about 4 hours from where I do most of my hunting, thought maybe we might be able to hook up.

5. egadwall

Still could happen!

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Our youngest daughter was born (1996) in Kearney after a job transfer took us there the year before. Great people there and awesome hunting. We hunted many of the Rainwater Basin WDU's and some of the Platte we had private access.

There are 3-4 of our clan here seriously contemplating a long weekend trip up there in October. Been going up there for spring turkey the past six seasons staying as guests on a ranch at the edge of the Sandhills.

Think of that part of our country often, with fond memories.

7. Sandhills_fwlr

Sandhills_fwlr Refuge Member

JP no better place to be duck hunting in October in Nebraska IMO than the Sandhills. Don't hesitate it will be the start of a long tradition. Be willing to scout a lot and be mobile. It will take you back to the good ol days of waterfowling.

8. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

egadwall I am 81 this year and I still hunt the Rainwater Basins but I use a walking stick to get around. I don't go alone any more.