Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Re-purposing old duck/goose floaters...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by ajj16, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

Some of my buddies and I are in the process of trying to get a snow goose spread together, just wondering some opinions from you snow goose guys.
    Have you had much success w/ repainting old duck and goose floaters for snows? Much success decoying the birds to these type of decoys?

We are going to have b/t 150-200 floaters repainted when it is all said and done. We are going to mix in an additional 100-200 socks on the shore and land (depending on where we are).
    We plan on hunting the spread in the afternoons to catch migrators looking for a drink/roost. Some of our spots will just be pasture ponds, but we might have a cornfield w/ a pond as well. We have 2 alpha dog coyote calls that have snow goose tracks that we are going to use for E-callers. My buddy is also rigging up some flying machines, so we might have 2-3 of those as well.

I know some people are hard believers on the the U-vision paint, and some not so much. I think we are just gonna go w/ regular matte/flat white and black rattle cans and some clear matte/flat finish and some orange for the bills.
    Just curious as to what you guys think of a set up like this?

I've done some decoy setups for snows in the past w/ some limited success. Jumping is our most productive way (since we don't have $15k in decoys).

2. ziggy4450

ziggy4450 New Member

Most of our floater spread is old flambeau honker floaters painted white. We have some newer, factory snow goose floaters in the mix but a good chunk is re-purposed floaters. They work just fine. I can't speak to the success of U-vision paint but I can say regular matte white and black will work just fine.

Good luck starting out. 150-200 floaters is a great start!

ajj16 likes this.
  3. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

We started the same way, used a plastic specific primer from Sherwin Williams and a white top coat that I think was desinged for plastic as well. One gallon of each did 100 of the old Flambeau goose floaters.

ajj16 likes this.
  4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I did old duck floaters once and tossed them after that season. Old goose floaters are much better. If I was to run floaters now, I'd have them out in the marsh/water with nothing else, a great hide, and some low volume snow goose sounds going on. Of course, a water/field spread is great too but all water is the 1 type of spread they don't see much of.

ajj16 likes this.
  5. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

I am going to paint my old flambeau super mag mallards into snows.
    Did some a few years ago and they look nice.

Danny

ajj16 likes this.
  6. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

I've had real good results with glidon flat outdoor paint holds like iron on plastic and foam we didn't even prime [ make sure they r as clean as possible] ours have held up for 3 yrs now on both canadas and snows

ajj16 likes this.
  7. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I would think for "filler's", duck decoys would work ok.
    I painted just a few mag. size hen mallards into snows, or more specifically into Ross's, and have had snows swimming with them with no concern.
    I have some old Herters styrofoam, old (1980's model ) Flambeau snows (& Canadas painted into snows), a couple Carry-Lites, Higdons and Tanglefree's and the snows dont seem to mind swimming or flying into the mix-max brand spread.

Krylon or Rustoleum flat enamel paints are my preferred choices in ref. to brands of paint to use.

ajj16 likes this.
  8. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Nothing wrong with using old duck and goose floaters and turning them into snows to beef up a water spread or just save some money.

I like a mag. or super mag mallard decoy and use Dutch Boy Max Bond outdoor paint to paint my floaters. Match up colors to say a GHG decoy at a hardware store, 6 pk or more of beer and a guy is good to go.

Here's some of them that I did last summer that will be used this spring when I'm in my layout boats:
    [​IMG]

9. black brant

black brant Senior Refuge Member

Great paint job.
    Those will work.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  10. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

Those look awesome, nice work!