Real Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by Light12, Jan 3, 2006.

1. umahunter

umahunter Elite Refuge Member

mallards are cool but i like having a mixed bag better than all one bird Hollywood's are cool but Ive never got all the hype they don't seem to taste any better then others they do seem to have a lot more bands . but besides that i don't get the hype .i would rather have a mixed shoot than all Hollywood shoot any day :tu :tu :dv

2. 12ga

12ga Banned

It's just what I grew up with. I'm getting used to these desert ducks!!:tu :tu

3. Birdup

Birdup Moderator Moderator

To some people the ultimate limit is all greenheads. To me the ultimate limit is 7 drakes. All of different species.

I've only done it once and it was a great day that I won't forget.

1 Pin
    1 Widg
    1 Gad
    1 Mallard
    1 Redhead
    1 Greenwing Teal
    1 Cinnie

4. 400Bullelk

400Bullelk Senior Refuge Member

I love shooting greenheads, they are just big. Like Birdup, I go for drakes, and one of my favorite things about duck hunting is the variety. I get sick of shooting greenwings, and I don't like shooting goldeneyes, and will absolutely not shoot mergansers. Getting skunked is the worst.

5. pyle762

pyle762 Elite Refuge Member

I was trying for that the other day. I had a drake pintail, greenhead, widgeon, and ringneck. I was hoping for a drake bootlip, GWT, and Gadwall.

Then three GWT came buzziing in and the temptation was too strong to kill both drakes. Only problem was I tripled with two shots and killed the hen too. :rolleyes:

6. Light12

Light12 Senior Refuge Member

The only times I have pulled limits of veried drakes like that was in the days of 3 and 4 ducks a day. I'm Jealous. And then those were a Mallard, Pintail,Gadie day, and a Woodie, Mallard, Greenwing, Pintail day. At least when it comes to impressive birds. Early season when everything looks like a rat I'm sure I had some more variety.

7. daves

daves Senior Refuge Member

When the hunting is easy, it stretches out the day and pleasure to put artificial limits such as drake greenheads only or one drake of each specie or whatever turns you on. Mallards are my favorite because they work so well to a call and will circle til you can't stand it anymore! On the other hand when things get slow or you have a dog that needs work the rules of engagement change. That's one of the attractions of duck hunting, you get to make your own rules and set your own limits. I've had days where I got more pleasure out of one or two ducks with memorable shots or retrieves than days where we put 120 birds in the bag (Canada and yes we were legal).

8. Birdup

Hey Dave,

Why don't you post that picture of you with a limit of greenheads and 3 geese sitting by the pool.

Or send it to me and I'll post it.

9. daves

daves Senior Refuge Member

I didn't shoot any geese or greenheads. We live in a desert. No water, no ducks. You must me imagining things!

10. Birdup

We'll say it was in Florida.;) ;) ;)