Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Recently moved to IL

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Socks, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Socks

Socks Senior Refuge Member

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hi real quick. I moved to IL from Michigan Dec of last year. I'm basically in the suburbs of Chicago.

I've got a lot of learning to do. I didn't know about all the lotteries for blinds for this year until the dates passed. I did some research and found some places that didn't have a annual blind draw so I'll be hitting those areas. I hope everyone has a good season.

Socks

2. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

Welcome

Danny

3. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Congratulations on being the ONE person to move to Illinois. Apparently, the sight of all those moving vans leaving this state didn't intimidate you.
    Living in the Chitcago area, politically, all you need to know to survive is: 1) God is good, and Mike Madigan/democrats are gods. 2) Guns are evil.
    You will have to get a Firearms Owner ID card (FOID), issued by the state police, at their leisure. I'd get on that immediately, as it often takes months for the processing. Even after obtaining that, you still will have to wait 72 hrs. to pick up any gun you purchase.
    There are very few places in Illinois for the freelance or walk in hunter. Most sites are staked, allotted at the blind drawings and require a boat. If there is a check station they will have drawings for blinds unclaimed by the builders, each morning. Some sites require you to pick up decoys daily, other sites allow dekes to be left out.
    Information can be hard to find. If I remember correctly, individual site regulates and maps are located under hunting on the website.
    Best of luck to you.

4. DarrenDuck

DarrenDuck Senior Refuge Member

On a more positive note...the Chicago area has some of the best sports, food, entertainment, culture, transportation in the country - if not the world. Yeah politicians/corruption are world-class bad - but where are they great? You have to take the good with the bad! Chicago - the city we love to complain about!

The Chicago area has some great job opportunities (helps pay for the expensive taxes!) which is one of the reasons I live here - jobs pay well. I don't have the luxury of picking up and moving to Florida or Texas - not would I want to. So I live with it and make the best of the situation.

So hunting - yes get your FOID card first. IL doesn't have nearly as much open land hunting as Michigan. You can find decent hunting thru the draws and the state. Spend some time on the IL DNR website - it is OLD and OUTDATED (state doesn't have money to upgrade it) but it does have valuable information.

What suburb are you in? PM me if you have any questions.

Il. MudDuk likes this.
  5. Socks

Thanks!

6. Socks

Yep, got my foid card. What a nuisance. Thanks for the tips!

7. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

8. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Welcome,
    Darren Duck from N.W. Ind, forgot to mention that a lot of people get shot every weekend in that city with good food, and transportation. We have toll roads up the wazoo, and depending on what suburb you live in you might pay 5 to 6 times more than national average for property taxes. Not to mention 7.5% to 10% sales tax, oh and in Crooked county they have a 5 cent cartridge tax per shot gun shell. I know it’s a shell not a cartridge, but in crooked it goes bang so they tax it. Oh yeah then there is the $25 fee to buy a gun. As far as sports teams go, count me out.

Enough of that, depending on what suburb you are in, we have some of the best Canada Goose Hunting anywhere, but we are in IL so the limit is 2. A Couple week in November the Duck Hunting can be outstanding, but location is key and usually costly. The state has some, duck blind draws, and controlled pheasant/Dove hunting areas if your into that. There is one of the premier Sporting Clay clubs in the nation up North. Feel free to shoot me PM and I will answer any ?’s you have.

9. DarrenDuck

DarrenDuck Senior Refuge Member

if you don't like - leave!

I get so tired of people complaining over and over about Chicago. Just leave. Do something about it. If you like hot and humid and no taxes - go to Florida or Texas.

St. Louis and Milwaukee are more dangerous than Chicago. If you are not in a gang - it is a relatively safe place.

So leave. Its not for everyone. You have to take the good with the bad. Or you just spend most of you time being miserable.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  10. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

you moved TO Illannoyed????:doh whats wrong with you??:l:l:l,,, good luck and when someone says duck up there,, they mean hit the floor not actually look up for a duck:no,,,,,,,world class goose huntin up nort :tu