Recipes for geese

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Buckmark311, Nov 3, 2003.

1. bub

bub Refuge Member

Another recipe for you boys. I came up with this recipe by mixing and matching a few different ones I found online and in cookbooks, plus added my own changes here and there. I've made this a couple times now, it takes about an hour to prepare - but it is well worth it. I promise.

"Are You Sure There is Goose In There" Gumbo

2 large cans (12 cups) Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    2 medium sized red onions
    2 green peppers
    2 cups (4-5 stalks) celery
    5-6 cloves minced garlic (2 tablespoons)
    1 can of sliced okra (fresh would be better, but good luck finding it)
    1 pound of peeled, deveined shrimp
    1 pound andouille sausage
    4 goose breasts (2 geese)
    2 cups long grain white rice
    1 cup Franks Red Hot
    3 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
    1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
    20 shakes tabasco

Roux
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 cup olive oil

The day before you plan to have your gumbo - put goose breasts in crock pot and cover with large can of sauerkraut. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. Drain and discard kraut. Shred the meat and pour 1/2 cup of Franks Red Hot over meat - mix well and let sit overnight.

Sautee chopped onions, sliced peppers and celery, minced garlic and okra in large pan.
    In large stock pot, add
    - saut?ed vegetables
    - chicken broth
    - 1/2 cup Franks Red Hot
    - bay leaves
    Bring to a boil.

As the mixture is coming to a boil - heat 3/4 cup of olive oil in a frying pan. Once the oil begins to smoke, add flour bit by bit, being sure to stir constantly with a whisk or spoon. Continue to stir until the roux browns. Be careful not to burn it though. It should be a dark golden brown. Remove from heat, set aside.

Once your stock pot has reached a boil - add the roux spoonful by spoonful, stirring often, until it is fully dissolved. Add rice, goose and uncooked, thinly sliced andouille sausage and tabasco, cajun seasoning, seafood seasoning. Once mixture comes back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Bring gumbo back to a boil, stir frequently. Add thawed shrimp and seasoning to taste and be sure to remove bay leaves.

Serve with french bread and cold beer. Serve to a group of people or be prepared to either freeze some or eat it for a week straight.

2. DucksDead

DucksDead Senior Refuge Member

soak the breasts in salt water 1-2 days. cut them into stripsabout 1 inch wide. fold the strip in two, then take cream cheese and jalapeno and put in fold. then wrap in bacon and hold with a toothpick. put it on the grill until it's ready.

even people who hate duck and goose meat love this recipe

3. Quacker86

Quacker86 Refuge Member

This is the best goose ever. Try goose pastrami. here is the spice mix.

http://sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=466

unsmoked it tastes like corned beef, smoked it tastes like pastrami. We made a big pile of hash with some mixed with potatoes last week at duck camp and it was AWESOME. I have been having goose pasrami sandwiches for the past week. you have to try it.

4. muddyboots

muddyboots Senior Refuge Member

Has anyone ever deep fried a whole goose.If so, how did you do it and did it turn out good?
    Gerda

5. drycreekvalley

drycreekvalley Elite Refuge Member

Quacker,

Can you talk a bit about the process of making pastrami? I have several recipes I want to try and would like to know more from poeple who have done it.

You know, tips and trick, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance...

6. wtrfwlr43

wtrfwlr43 Elite Refuge Member

Used 3 goose breasts (1/2s). Paper towel dried. Cut away any fat and wing tendon on the inside. If it's dark red (just about black) from shot, cut that part out.
    Rub lightly with McCormicks beef seasoning. (season to taste, I like McCormick's)
    Mixed in a bowl 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and one packet of lipton's dried onion soup. DO NOT ADD WATER.
    Get a large piece of heavy duty tinfoil. Roll the edges up to kind of may a platter with edges, so everything doesn't run onto the counter.
    Place some of the soup mixture on the tinfoil, then the breasts. Using the soup mix, coat in between the breasts and on top. I also added two jars of sliced mushrooms. (may add some red bell pepper next time, as I really like them).
    Wrap in up in the tinfoil.
    Place in a large crock pot and cook for 6-7 hours on LOW.

MMMMMM Good.

7. afdomsch

afdomsch Senior Refuge Member

It'll do but experiment with a early-season younger goose. Unlike roasting where you can pull the grease off with a baster, it stays in when you fry them. I love eating goose but we deep fried a big fat old giant last year that was taken in mid JAN out of a flock that had been in winter wheat for about a week and a half and it was harsh. Forget the injectable marinades in stores, we pump em with a little mayo, mustard and brown sugar and they turn out tasting suprisingly like ham.

8. afdomsch

afdomsch Senior Refuge Member

I love pan-fried breasts but it's a big crazy world beyond 'em, and I love the pic but I'm still the challenged individual who can't figure out how to attach pics so if someone could help me out with that; yeahhhh, that would great! In other news, I have a recipe for Corned Goose that will blow your mind. Cured so you can serve cold, makes a badass rueben, you'd almost forget you're eating bird. :tu

9. CaptainT16

CaptainT16 Refuge Member

This has got to be my favorite....

Take as many goose breasts as you like. Cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch slices across the breast (check for shot).

Throw the sliced goose into a crock pot cover with apple cider (not apple cider vinegar). Put as much apple cider until it covers the meat. The add brown sugar on top not a lot.

Let cook on low for 7 to 9 hours in a crock pot. Then when done drain liquid completely. Add you?re favorite bbq sauce.
    Take two forks and shred meat like a pulled pork recipe would tell you to do.

Combine BBQ sauce and shredded goose meat put in crock pot for 15 minutes and then get you?re favorite roll and put a big helping of that meat on the roll and enjoy. :tu

10. duckbuster22

duckbuster22 Refuge Member

I like to make jerkey out of the geese i shoot ,

Slice up goose brest about 1/8 of an inch thick and marinate them in 1/2 bottle of soy sauce and 1/2 bottle teriaky sauce, coupple drops of liquid smoke and worshtishire sauce,2 tbls of bbq sauce, 1/2 tsp of brown sugar, 1 tbls of granular garlic, and some black pepper.

If you like spicy jerkey like me add some crushed red pepper, tabasco sauce, and cayane pepper to likeing into the marinade.

Marinade them for at least three days, then blot off excess marinade and place in a dehydrater for 5 1/2 to 6 houres.