Recipes for geese

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Buckmark311, Nov 3, 2003.

1. afdomsch

afdomsch Senior Refuge Member

nobody took me up on the corned goose last year, the warden and I just polished a tray and it made me think of you guys, this came from a true genius so here you go...

All dry ingredients. This does 2 lbs of meat
    1. 2 tbsp tenderquick
    2. 2 " Br. Sugar
    3. 1/2 " Mustard seed
    4. 1 " Black pepper
    5. 1/2 tsp paprika
    6. 1/2 " Allspice
    7. 2 tsp Garlic powder
    8. 1/2 " crushed bay leaves
    9. Combine ingredients in ziploc, mix well, cut duck breats in half, cut goose breasts in 1/3's and 1/2 thickness.
    10. Add meat, shake to cover, and refrigerate, flipping the bag every day for 7 days.
    11. Put in Reynolds cooking bags, (do not rinse off spices) drizzle with butter and dark beer, place in roasting pan, and roast for 90 minutes at 300 degrees. Do not "layer" the meat in the cooking bag.
    12. Serve with boiled cabbage or sauerkraut.

Thats the ticket fellas :sp everybody knows bacon wraps but here's some others when you feel a little more exotic than crock pots and pan frys...

Grilled Duck/Goose Hot N? Spicy
    Marinade, combine?
    1. 1 bottle of Zesty Italian dressing
    2. 3-4 tablespoons of ginger
    3. 1/4 cup soy sauce
    4. 1/4 cup of rice or wine vinegar
    5. 1/4 cup of hot chili oil
    6. 2 heaping tbsp ground chile, cayenne or red pepper
    7. Pour marinade into ziploc add breasts and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
    8. Grill to medium rare, drizzling marinade periodically
    9. Serve with melted swiss or cheddar over breast with grilled veggies on the side.

Grilled Duck/Goose with a Chimichuri Sauce
    Chimichuri Sauce:
    1. 1 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
    2. 8 cloves garlic minced
    3. 3/4 cup olive oil
    4. 1/4 cup red wine
    5. 3 Tbsp lemon juice
    6. 1 tsp salt
    7. 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    8. 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    9. Blend all the dry ingredients and slowly drizzle the oil and wine.*
    10. Put the breasts in a zip-lock bag, add the Chimichuri sauce and marinate for 24 hours
    11. Grill to a medium rare, adding a little sauce when you turn the breasts. Serve over rice, biscuits or mashed potatoes.

2. porter380

porter380 Refuge Member

I like to season them and put some olive oil on em, then Grill em under a mesquite fire for a little just to get them about medium rare.Then take em in and put em in a pan with chunks of bacon that are fried up and then let em cook a little, season with some herbs like thyme oregano. Then deg laze it with some red wine and add a little bit of flour to thicken it up for gravy, and beef stock, or beef bullion and water. Then add some parley to finish it off let it simmer for a couple minutes just to get everything incorporated and serve over a bed over mashed potatoes, or rice.

Porter

3. E Gadget

E Gadget Senior Refuge Member

Goose burgers
    Two goose breast, one package Italian sausage. Cut breast and sausage into cubes and run them through a sausage or meat grinder. Fry paddies and just before removing from pan finish with Worcestershire sauce. Use with your favorite hamburger condiments on a bun or just eat alone. mmmmmm

4. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

Goose meat:
    Sear both sides on a grill with highest possible heat, then turn to low and cook to desired point. It might help to butterfly the breasts when they are almost done and then sear the newly cut faces.

Sauce:
    about 1 cup fresh blackberries per serving of goose
    brown sugar to taste
    fresh, finely-grated ginger root, about 1 Tbsp per cup of blackberries
    dash of salt
    cinnamon to taste
    corn starch

Put the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring and crushing blackberries with a fork. Add a cornstarch & water paste near the end of simmering to thicken the sauce as you want it.

Photo attached, served with a mix of brown rice, wild rice and wheat kernels.

Attached Files:

5. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

I can't believe no one has posted this.. unless I missed it. It is so easy...

Goose breast fillets. 3 sides works best in my small crockpot but 4 sides would be fine too.

2 beef bullion cubes
    1 medium onion
    5 stalks celery
    cover with water and cook for 6 or 7 hours on high.

Drain and keep the meat only.

Shred with a fork and put back in crockpot with half bottle (or more to taste) of your favorite bbq sauce and keep hot till you are ready to serve or put in tupperware and reheat. Serve on buns with beans and slaw!
    If you have some pulled pork you can mix it in too!

Served at a poker game last week and didn't have enough left for lunch!

6. rpbayly

rpbayly New Member

My roast spec recipes will make you cry it's so good.
    so------------- post the recipes

7. rivrat1959

rivrat1959 Elite Refuge Member

riverview,mi. just a few miles up the crick from
    Canned goose. We tried this for the first time this year and It was Great. Will be canning more in the near future. You can use any venison or meat canning recipe.

8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill New Member

[​IMG]

Grilled Goose.

MY KIDS ARE EATING THIS UP FAST THEY SAY ITS AWESOME!!!!!
    I love it too!!

1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 cup thawed orange juice concentrate (frozen can type)
    1/2 cup honey dijon mustard
    1 cup honey

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT THE HONEY together. Keep 1 to 1 1/2 cups of marinade back to use later in the glaze.

Cut large duck and/or goose breasts into chunks about the size of a teal breast filet or a little smaller and place in the marinade for at least 4 hours. I usually start mine one evening and then cook it the next (24 hours later). Stir or mix occasionally.

Mix the remaining marinade that you held back with the honey to make the glaze.

Toss the duck and/or goose on the grill and baste with a little of the glaze.

Cook to medium rare (medium if ya just gotta) and then lightly drizzle the rest of the glaze over the meat and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.

9. flypaper

flypaper Elite Refuge Member

My favorite:

1/3 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup canola oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp soy sauce

Take two goose breast halves, filleted off the carcass. Slice them in half lengthways to reduce the thickness by one-half. Then cut in half cross-ways.

Mix the ingredients together, pour over breast pieces in a bowl and let marinade fore at least one day. Grill on a hot grill for 5 minutes on a side.

Done!

10. crazyquacked

crazyquacked Elite Refuge Member

If you breast your birds. (Simple)

Potholes Marinated Goose
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 TBSP olive oil
    2 TBSP honey
    2-4 TBSP wine vinegar
    1 tsp grated ginger
    1 tsp chopped garlic
    2 bay leaves.
    Filet the breasts and slice in to 3 slices horizontally.Marinate for 24-36 hours.
    BBQ on a HOT grill to rare to medium rare. If you dont tell them it is goose, they will think it is a steak.. I have only had one goose that was to strong to prepare this way in the last 15 years or so.

If you pluck the goose (more complicated, but excellent
    Upside Down Roast Canada Goose
    Recipe by John Manikowski

1 stick butter
    1/2 tsp Canola oil
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 cup diced celery
    1 med onion, finely chopped
    1 med apple, peeled, cored, and chopped.
    4 garlic cloves finely shopped.
    2 cups LOW SALT veal or chicken stock
    1 cup dry white wine
    1/4 cup chopped fresh pars;ey.
    2 TBSP fresh or 2 tsp dried Rosemary
    2 TBSP dried Thyme
    4 bay leaves
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
    1 whole wild goose OR Turkey, 4-6 pounds dressed.

Preheat oven to 375.
    Mel;t the butter with the oil in a large saucepan over med-low heat.
    Add the carrot, celery, onion, apple, and garlic. Saute for 8-10 minutes, until soft. Add the stock, wine, parsley, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper.Turn up the heat and bring to a boil for about 1 minute. Lower the heat to med-low and simmer for 6-8 minutes, until thoroughly cooked.
    Pour the vegetables and liquid into a large roasting pan fitted with a lid.Nestle the bird, breast side down, into the vegetables and liquid.Spoon some of the liquid and vegetables over the goose and add more wine if needed to submerge the bird about half way. Cover and roast for about 75 minutes. Turn the goose over and cook uncovered for another 15 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted near to the leg bone.
    Remove the roasting pan and let the bird sit for about 10 minutes before carving. Serve with your favorite potatoes. Spoon some of the juice and vegetables over each serving.

We usually do this recipe at Thanksgiving or Christmas. We did this at my In Laws a couple years ago Almost none of them had EVER eaten goose before. It was GONE in 10 minutes.