Recipes for geese

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Buckmark311, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Chester - TN

Chester - TN Elite Refuge Member

There is a link at the bottom of the Main Forum or CLICK HERE

2. Blake H

Blake H Elite Refuge Member

lol
    its kinda funny reading all these ideas because so many of them involve covering up the taste with bacon, pepper, bbq sauce. Lets face it, geese taste like crap without seasoning- its pretty cool that so many of us bear the work to cook up and justify our sport. geese are just plain tough meat.

3. Mikey B

Mikey B Senior Refuge Member

Tried something a couple weeks ago that turned out pretty good. Just take your goose breast and slice it in small strips and add to stir fry just like you do beef, can't tell the difference.
    Also i like to smoke mine, after it soaks in salt water and brown sugar. I think it taste like roast beef.
    Also make a lot of jerky.

Later Mike

4. Myk

Myk Senior Refuge Member

I guess I'm odd, I don't get gamey taste in anything unless I listen to someone who tells me how to cover up a gamey taste. I rough ground half of my first goose and cooked the burgers with nothing but salt and pepper, it tasted fine. I think the gamey taste in most game comes from improper handling of the meat and over cooking.

Grinding didn't work too well so I picked up this recipe from somewhere (I thought it was from here).

Slice breast 1" thick, pound out in seasoned flour. Pan fry. After water boils away don't cook much longer, just enough to brown it a little.

5. Duxrule

Duxrule Elite Refuge Member

I can eat geese many ways, but I also try to make it so more of the family can enjoy it as well, so end up covering up some of the "goose" taste. I'm planning on making it for X-mas for my wifes family, and not going to tell them what it is until it's gone. :D I hate the phrase "gamey taste". It's not gamey....it tastes like....GOOSE! ;)

6. Tealtamer

Tealtamer Senior Refuge Member

Got this from fowledup and it is great people at work couldnt believe how good a goose can taste and i have requests at least once a week from people wanting more
    Roast Goose Chili

1 Tablespoon butter or marg.
    1 Garlic Clove Minced
    1 Cup of Onion Minced
    2 Cups Cubed Goose Breast
    1 (16Oz) Can tomatoes
    1 (16Oz) Can Chili Beans
    1 Cup Green Bell Pepper Minced (Optional)
    1 Cup beer
    1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
    1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
    1/4 Teaspoon of Black Pepper
    1/2 Teaspoon Dried Basil
    1 Teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over low heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until golden brown. Add goose and cook until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 3 hours or until sauce reaches desired thickness. You can also prepare this in a slow cooker. After browning the onion, garlic, and goose, combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours. Makes 4 servings.

To make this hotter (which I like) use HOT Chili beans, 2 teaspons of hot pepper sauce, and a hot pepper instead of green bell pepper. I like to multiply everything times 4 and make a huge batch. Then I freeze the left overs. Reheat and take to the blind in a thermos for a great cold weather lunch. I have also used deer instead of goose and it works great too.

7. Buckmark311

Buckmark311 Senior Refuge Member

thanks guys ill be sure to try em

8. goosemasterjk

goosemasterjk Senior Refuge Member

slice the breasts into strips put into a slow cooker add cream mushroom soup and onions (seasoning of choice) let cook til meat is tender. Serve over mash poatoes or bread. Even the wife that hates duck and goose meat likes it.

Jeff

9. goosecommander

goosecommander Senior Refuge Member

This one is for the poor college kid with a fry daddy,

:l :l :sp :eek: :sp I know this because this is what we survived on during the winter at times to buy more shells:eek:

Cut breast up into small chunks or strips, put them in the fry daddy until they flot, and enjoy!! very tasty but you are garuntee'd to clog an artery or two!!

Once out of college with a job, then add the deep fried nuggets to Noodles and cream of mushroom and that is reel good.

10. rucnnedx?

rucnnedx? Senior Refuge Member

I once thought exactly like Blake H, and I used to tell my friends "If a recipe starts out with 'wrap it in bacon' I don't want any!

I was lucky enough to get this from a goose guide here in Washington, it taste exactly like roast beef. I think slow cooking it for six hours leaves all the good flavor and takes out the bad.
    My three year old son eats this like crazy so it has to good!
    The gravy is awesome too!
    When you pull this out of the oven it literally falls apart, totally tender and soft.

Wash birds inside and out
    Season with meat tenderizer, salt and black pepper

Stuff with onion and apple or whatever you want
    Place bird - breast side down - in roasting pan.
    Add 1 cup of water
    Cover tightly in heavy foil

Cook at 250 degreees for six hours

Gravy - After the Goose is cooked, drain some of the drippings from roasting pan into a sauce pan. Add 1/4 cup of milk, salt and pepper, 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, bring to a boil, thicken with cornstarch (Mix cornstarch with water before adding it to gravy) stir until gravy thickens.