Recipes for geese

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Buckmark311, Nov 3, 2003.

1. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

We had wild goose breasts for Thanksgiving this year. (Slow cooked in red wine with apples).

Leftovers made a VERY good chili on Saturday.

2. badhabit

badhabit Elite Refuge Member

As the creator of many culinary atrosities I have goose recipe for the not faint of heart......
    take one cleaned and plucked goose..soak in salt water over night.
    Inject the goose with insta cure 1. Make sure you don't over do the insta cure....let the injected goose set for 36hrs in the fridge. Now the fun part. Heat the bbq to 300 or 325 put the goose on an untreated cedar plank (soak it in water for 30 min prior to putting on the bbq) and cook goose until core temp is 130-135. the cedar plank/board 1x6 or 1x8 will char and release the wonderful cedar smoke aroma into the goose. Let the goose stand for 20 min...carve goose like you would a turkey....word of cautionn....the insta cure will make the goose meat red like a med rare prime rib....not brown but red....really fools the old timers when the first see it....

3. ed3434

ed3434 Guest

I'm new to Goose shooting/cleaning/cooking/eating.

How long should you hang them? I've always thought about 5 days in the refrigerator was about right for Pheasant.

Was going to give my first Goose about the same time. I want to pick this one, and roast it for Christmas dinner.

Thanks in advance for all helpful advice.

4. SP101187

SP101187 New Member

Anyone ever tried canning? I can assure everyone this is one of the best way to enjoy geese. The meat will be so tender that a knife is useless, the taste is unbelievable, and it will be available any time, for any other cooking purpose. Here is the way to do it:

-The day before canning, dice breasts in 1" cubes. In a large Ziploc bag, put one rank of diced meat, salt & peper, and cover with one rank of sliced onions. Repeat until bag is full. Let sit in the fridge overnight.
    -Before canning, sterlize canning pots in boiling water( most important of all).
    -Fill sterilzed pots (I prefer 16oz pots, but 8 oz can do as well) at 3/4 of their capacity, with meat and some onions. One can add a bit of red wine, or seasoning, but not too much. Canning will change the taste of meat drastically, and if there is too much seasoning, the meat will only taste like the seasoning its been add.
    -Put sterilzed lids and covers. Do not tight at this point.
    -In a High Pressure Cooker (more commonly named a Presto in Quebec), put only one rank of pots. Add water until it almost reaches the canning pots cover.
    -Close the Cooker lid tight.
    -Start cooking on a stove top at "High", until the little gizmo (that controls the amount of internal pressure) starts its dance. Reduce fire, just enough to keep the gizmo "dancing".
    -Let cook for one hour.
    -After cooking is done, let the High Pressure Cooker cool down. This could take a good 1/2 hour.
    -When there is no more traces of pressure, open Cooker and retrieve all pots with an oven glove or with a specialized canning pots tool. Be carefull, pots are extremely hot at this point.
    -Deposit pots on a dry cotton cloth, and let cool down pots. You will see at this point that it is still boiling inside the pots, this is normal. Re-tigh covers enough to put some pressure on lid. When boiling is done, the meat is ready to eat. But meat taste and tenderness will improve after a curing period of a month.
    -If everything went as planned, one will see that the covers will try to bend inside the pots. This is ensuring a good seal, and will keep meat fresh for a good year, if not two.

Canned geese can be served right from the pot, but I prefer to re-heat it, and serve it as a full coarse meal. Taste is the same as a good beef pot roast, so all imaginable way to serve beef of this kind is applicable to canned geese.

Enjoy,

G.

5. SP101187

SP101187 New Member

I forgot to mention: this receipe comes from a fellow hunter of Northern Quebec. He is doing this for numerous years, without having any problems (canned meat can be hazardeous if not performed correctly), as long as this receipe has been followed to the letter. I personnally, did this receipe in December last year, and been eating the last pots two weeks ago. I will repeat the process very soon.

G.

6. grr8d8b8

grr8d8b8 New Member

breast the goose,
    take four half breasts,
    brown it, this holds it together
    in a slow cooker per two cans of mushroom gravey and a pkg of mushroom gravey mix.
    cook on low for 6 hours (best)
    or on high for 4 hours, (not the best)

this is the best recipie i have found so far and it makes it taste like beef, and we all know if you can make a goose taste anything but a goose it has to be an improvement, lol

7. SBE4ME

SBE4ME Elite Refuge Member

Take the boneless skinless breast and soak it in water for a few hours, then slice it about 1/2 in thick, get your grill good and hot.
    Then cook it like you would a steak, marinate it with melted butter, salt and pepper. My wife could not tell the difference, it is great this way, no strong flavor.

8. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

After my wife's goose chili experiment, all gizzards, hearts, and legs are going to be saved separately from the breasts and made into chili.

This was really VERY good.

9. dukguy

dukguy Senior Refuge Member

10. DuckN66

DuckN66 Senior Refuge Member

GRR8D8B8,

I tried your recipe on some goose breasts tonight for dinner and I wil second it! Was awsome! Took the leftover and shredded it with BBQ sauce in it for sandwiches. GOOD STUFF!