Recipes for geese

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Buckmark311, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Skeptic

Skeptic Elite Refuge Member

Got this from some Illinois boys tailgaiting after the hunt in ND:

Cube the breast, coat cubes in mustard, shake in bag with italian bread crumbs, deepfry. Then coat in Franks hot sauce and dip in blue cheese or ranch. Just like chicken wings.

2. Wildfowler_Ecosse

Wildfowler_Ecosse Senior Refuge Member

Here's one from my book "Modern Wildfowling":

Goose Mousse

3. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

nuhog...one question...when you come back through the border and have to fill out the USFW forms...how do they verify what you have???

They let you bring the sausage back without speies identification?

4. Wildfowler_Ecosse

Just tie one wing to each sausage :l

"Every sperm is sacred" - Monty Python

:cool:

5. Wildfowler_Ecosse

Guess this one wroks for geese too, in case you missed it in the Duck forum:

You'll have to excuse me if I ramble a bit and mis-spell a few wurds. When I cook for myself, I tend to consume half a bottle of wine while I am cooking and the other half when I am eating. More of that anon.

A few weeks ago, my daughter and her boyfriend/partner/bidie-in were visiting from Kent so we took them out to the village bistro for a nosh-up. What I chose from the menu was Sirloin Steak with Onion and Stilton Sauce. It was delicious.

So, tonight, faced with the prospect (delight?) of eating alone, I decided to experiment with a similar sauce as an accompaniment to duck. Only I had no duck in the freezer, so I used woodpigeon instead.

The real point of this posting is the sauce.

My principal criterion for any recipe is that, from start to finish, it should not take more than 15 minutes to prepare and cook and most of the non-game ingredients should be readily available from the supermarket. So, apart from the pigeon breasts and sauce, my meal consisted of Micro Chips and frozen Broccoli, Caulifower and Carrots (my favourite mix from Safeway's frozen veg. section).

The whole point of the posting is that the sauce will enhance virtually any meat - certainly steak, game or salmon.

Forgive my failure to specify exact quantities - it is very much an intuitive recipe and you can add or subtract according to your inclination. For the Sauce you need:

a knob of butter
    a Jar (or Jars) of a propriety White Wine and Herb Sauce (I used Home Pride from Safeways) - allow 1/3 of a jar per person.
    Mushrooms - allow 4 or 5 per person
    Onions - allow half an onion per person
    Garlic - allow 1 clove segment per person (or 5 if you are a stinking rose afficianado)
    A wodge of either blue Stilton or Danish Blue cheese (I used Danish cos its much cheaper) - allow about 2 oz per person.

So -

Put the frozen veggies in a pan of salted water and put on a medium heat to cook.

Melt the butter in a shallow pan.

Cut up the mushrooms into quarters, the onions into bits and the garlic into wee bits. By now the butter should be sizzling nicely.

Put the mushrooms into the pan and toss in the butter.

Slug some wine.

Cut the cheese up into wee bits.

Slug some more wine (see below)

Add the onions.

Slug

Once the mushrooms and onions are nicely sauteed (and this is where you need to be quick and deft) add the garlic and toss for one or two seconds only then reach for the jar of sauce and pour the requisite quantity into the pan. Stir.

Put your meat under a grill (high). I like to brush my meat with olive oil before grilling.

Have a slug.

Turn the meat (For most things from fillet steak to duck breasts I allow 2 minutes per side - salmon needs a little longer)

Add the cheese to the sauce.

Put your Micro Chips into the Microwave.

Have a slug.

When the chips (Fries for our American readers) are ready, take them out of the microwave and replace them with your plate(s) filled with hot water. Microwave the plates for one minute while your chips crisp up.

Drain the veggies through a sieve. Turn off the grill and the gas under the sauce.

Have a slug or glug

When the plates are heated, dry them, put on the meat, pour the sauce over the meat, add the veggies and chips. Enjoy.

Seriously folks, that sauce is fantastic.

Wine - Although the sauce contains a white wine, the addition of the cheese makes the flavour stronger and the whole caboodle suits a flavoursome red wine.

I like something fullsome like a Merlot. I have found, as no doubt you have, that French wines are sh!te and full of dead frogs. My faves at present are from South America and Cono Sur Merlot from Chile is the bees' knees. Don't opt for the cheapest. A £6.99 bottle of Chilean Merlot is 5 x better than a £3.99 bottle and certainly the equal of a £12 bottle of Froggy antifreeze.

8 minutes 35 seconds from start to finish.

6. Wildfowler_Ecosse

Forum wouldn't let me edit the incomplete posting three above, so here it is from scratch:

GOOSE MOUSSE

1 x 70g (2½oz) packet aspic jelly powder
    500ml (1 pint) goose stock
    400g (1 lb) cooked goose breast, shredded
    100ml (4 fl. oz.) dry sherry
    1 tsp dried tarragon
    pepper to taste
    1 tbsp tomato purée
    250 ml (½ pint) double cream

Make up the aspic jelly using the stock, following instructions on the packet. Leave to cool and, when on the point of setting, put it in a liquidiser or blender with the goose meat, sherry, tarragon and pepper. Blend until smooth and then beat in the cream and tomato purée. Turn into a wetted mould, place in fridge and leave until set. Turn out to serve.

7. ldyduck7

ldyduck7 Refuge Member

Keeping any thing in the frig that long won't taste the same in 5 to 7 days. recomm; three days in frig for uncooked meats or things will start to grow but covered in BQ sauce will take afew more days before the new growth is visual.

8. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

My basic approach to cooking any wild game is: 5 minutes or 5 hours.

A young duck or goose (or choice cuts of venison and moose) will be grilled fast and hot so that it is still rare (bloody) in the middle. This gives you the natural flavor of the game while still being tender. A sauce made with mayo, capers, and worchestechire sauce cuts that fat from skin on birds.

Older birds and the tougher cuts of meat are seared and then braised in a flavorful liquid (wine, beer, stock, canned tomatoes etc. ) at extremely low temps for hours. The meat falls off the bones and absorbs the flavor of the cooking liquid.

That said, most gamey flavor comes from poor handling. In warm weather I clean my birds immediatey upon being retrieved and wipe them out with paper towel before hanging them to cool.

Wildfowl Ecosse might have some input on this but it seems that most of the Europeans I know actually like a stronger flavor to their game. I know of one transplanted Norwegian who hangs his grouse for 10-14 days at room temp with the guts in!!! He knows they're ready when the body drops away from the head due to its own weight. You'd think at that stage you could suck the meat through a straw.

The long and the short of it is. If you want it to taste like beef, shoot a freakin' cow.

9. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

I apparently have one really long stutter. Sorry

10. HOUND

HOUND Senior Refuge Member

he key to the marinated bacon wrapped goose is to pre cook the bacon that way the breast chunks haven't dried out when the bacons done...and yes bacon is the duct tape of the culinary world

hound