Recommendation on 20ga chokes?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by sho_freak11, Jun 8, 2016.

1. sho_freak11

sho_freak11 Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys, I just picked up an SX3 20ga for duck hunting , and thought maybe I'd try a turkey with it next year as well. I bought some clearance turkey loads(rem nitro turkey #5, fed red box #5, win double x #5) and patterned them with the factory full. Not impressed at all, actually disappointed is more like it. The red box feds were ok. I don't shoot past 40 yds if that helps. So time to try a new choke, any advice? For what it's worth I use nitro turkey #5's with a cheapo truglo gobble stopper choke in my 12 and it patterns great.

Thanks guys

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Can't really help on that particular gun in regards to chokes. I would however suggest getting a box of Federal HW #7s to pattern. Nothing comes remotely close in my 20 gauge 870. They aren't cheap, but once you're done patterning it's not an issue. Patterns well enough I haven't carried my 12 in over ten years. One suggestion though, if you find a load that you really like, buy as much as you can stomach. The first 20 gauge load I settled on was discontinued a year later.

You might also consider checking the 20 gauge forum on oldgobbler. There are probably dozens of threads with recommendations for your exact gun, and some of those guys really know what they are talking about.

3. sho_freak11

I trolled at old gobbler today, and went after work and grabbed some fed HW7's and some hevi 13#6's, they had a Carlson's turkey choke on sale for $10, so I grabbed that too. I might have to call up trulock and order their choke made for the HW7's from what I'm seeing on old gobbler. Thanks for the direction!

4. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

TruLock HW 7's choke

Jeb's 20 ga choke (works with HW7 according to Jeb's)

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Those HW 7s are bad medicine. Most pellets go all the way through at 40 yards (my personal limit). You might be surprised with the pattern from your factory choke. I never could get a good pattern out of Hevi 13, but plenty of others have. Good luck. If you get it dialed in, you'll love the 20. It really shines with turkeys.

6. sho_freak11

I'll pattern them soon. Trying factory full and the Carlsons.585 with both loads. Hopefully I find a winner!

7. Hayudog

Hayudog Senior Refuge Member

I shoot a SumToy choke that runs real well with the Federal HW 7. You can find Wiiliam Sumtoy on Old Gobbler.

Another forum to check out is Gobbler Nation. I hand load a recipe of TSS 9's, 1 5/16 that runs over 200 out a factory full. The TSS is available thru one of the forum members. Pricey for the shot, but you really don't shoot a lot of shells for turkeys.
    This pattern was run with a factory full in a 1945 Savage 220 single shot , factory fixed. 10" and 20" circles at 40 yards.
    [​IMG]

This was run by another Gobbler Nation member. 1 5/8 oz. 20 ga.
    [​IMG]

8. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

You might check with your local Winchester rep. Chances are he is a ballistics nerd, and will know what is the best combo for your gun.

I like Indian Creek turkey chokes paired with Hevi Shot Magnum blend.

9. sho_freak11

Finally got a chance to pattern it. The 3" fed hw#7's out of the trulock hw7 choke is the bees knees in this combo! The hevi 13 #6's was a close second. Everything else wasn't even close. I think it patterns better than my 12 ga... HW7's @40 was a good even pattern with 137 pellets in a 10", a little high. Hevi 13 #6's were 128 in a 10", pretty even with a couple small holes, a little high. At 20 yds both loads were just REAL bad medicine for anything inside that 15" pattern! I'll change stock shims to the one with a little more drop and it should be well centered. Thanks for the direction guys!

10. sho_freak11

If I move my 10" circle up on each pattern the numbers go up, 152 for the HW7's, 136 for the Hevi-13 6's. I definitely need to change that shim for more drop! Don't know why it wouldn't let me edit my last post! Now I wanna try different stuff with my 12 ga..... dangit! More money playing with guns!