Recommendation on Speck Call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by GooseChaser1, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Better still, how many copied the predator call or short-reed Canada call's toneboards? Nathan's a hell of a caller and makes a fine call, but he didn't invent the wheel.

2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

How do we know if it is "better still" until we know how many Speck call makers copied Nathan's brass tone board design. :scratch

3. Rick Hall

Might be some out there, but I don't know of anyone beside him still fooling with brass. Know I was underwhelmed by that sales point.

But my point was, of course, that he didn't exactly start from scratch. His product results from the same sort of evolution most others do.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  4. California Flyway

Rick,

My guess is folks switched from brass to acrylic, or did not incorporate brass is due to not wanting the increased production costs not any superiority of acrylic over brass. I do not think the acrylics won more championships than brass gutted RedBones when going head to head. But you probably know that too.
    Brass being much more stable over time will make them last many more years than acrylic as you also know.

5. Rick Hall

I know more contests have been won by the Indians than their arrows and that brass is apt to blister a reed faster than acrylic.

6. California Flyway

Blister me this;

So I guess no call maker, especially RedBone can stand by their Speck calling championships.
    Why did Indian Chiefs choose RedBones when they could have blown any call they wanted? As you know RedBone had no paid Pro Staff so it was not the money.

The reason I refer to Speck calling championships as a barometer of the best calls is that in my opinion they better reflect actual Speck hunting than duck calling competitions perhaps with the exception of meat calling.

I own a good number of RedBones, some getting pretty old, going back to prototypes and they all have the original reeds sans "blisters"

7. Rick Hall

By your reasoning I'm surprised you're not hunting over black Labs, nothing's come remotely close to passing as many upper level Hunting Retriever Tests, while the springers you favor are scarcely even represented at such events. Nathan's calling talent gave him a heck of a head start by building his brand winning contests with others' calls long before Red Bone came along. If you said the man could win on a tube sock, you'd be quoting me.

Then folks like you certainly needn't worry about even poly guts not being as stable as brass, as reeds will erode and blister before a poly toneboard "deteriorates" (or breaks in) - if one actually runs the call enough to do so.

8. California Flyway

Nice try, You know too well a number of callers won contests with RedBones that racked up the winning totals. My guess is you even knew some of them. :dv
    You also know that Nathan long ago retired form competitions and RedBones kept right on winning. If you forget you can look it up.

I am a third generation Springer guy because I grew up mostly hunting Grouse, Pheasants, Eastern Cottontails and Ducks. Springers were and are excellent all round upland dogs. The only dog competitions I followed involved Pheasants. Hunting over a finished Springer that is; steady to wing and shot, quartering in range, talking hand, voice, whistle commands, and honoring other dog's flushes is one of the great wingshooting experiences. Not only do Springers go way back in my family, they are one of the oldest bird hunting breeds. There are etchings of Springers flushing birds for Falcons before there was gunpowder. It is hardly an accident that folks still choose them for all purpose upland work.
    I hunt mostly over flooded rice in California and you would would be surprised how well they can handle that, not having to brave the icy cold waters of the north Atlantic to run lines between ships that Labs were originally bred for.

I like my RedBone brass gut calls so well, I am tempted to have them buried with me. That would be pretty selfish as those brass guts will easily last a number of lifetimes so I will pass them on.

9. Rick Hall

Of course, I know some Redbone using contest winners. Watched them step out of the shadow of the champ they wanted to be when he quit calling competitively and started mentoring contest callers. Wright makes a top shelf call and did a terrific job of building his brand. But he doesn't make the only top shelf call, and most of your points are, to couch it politely, beyond wobbly.

Hope you enjoy your wonderful Red Bones as much as I enjoy my James Meyers and Riceland.

10. California Flyway

Yes, RedBone is not the only top shelf call for sure.
    The owner of Pacific Outdoor Supply let me blow his personal Micarta, Riceland and it was a truly superb sounding call top to bottom. I asked him if it was for sale and he said no way. It sounded better than the rest in his rack of for sale calls. If it was for sale I would have bought it.

Wobbly?
    Go back and check the records, talk is easy.
    Nathan's calling instructional CD is top shelf too.

I have not blown the Riceland poly calls but there are a lot of folks here who say they really like them and good bang for the bucks.