Recommendation on Speck Call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by GooseChaser1, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Though not much of a follower of such things, I am somewhat familiar with the contest records, as RedBone's are (or were?) displayed quite prominently on their site, I count the current "World" Champ (a Wright protege and vehement RedBoner who I'm surprised hasn't responded here) among my friends, and several other Champs have guided with us over the years. Couple recent "World" champs who won with Vendettas are on staff as I type, and the Louisiana State champs that have worked here won their titles with at least four different makes that I'm aware of, though perhaps ironically I don't think any with a Red Bone.

But, again, if titles were an all-important gauge, you and I should be running black Labs. Yet, you got your hackles up and defended your breed when I pointed that out - and I'm on my fifth Chesapeake and have yet to see meaningful reason at home or in the field to change. And some of the very best speck callers I've hunted with have taken their turns with both your favorite and mine and then stuck with Chien Caille or Olt. (Another who's hunted with most everything over the years, to include the only Redbone double I've tried, sang the praises of Faulk's squeaker so loudly a couple seasons back that I gave one a go and only managed to convince myself that he's doing something with it that I'm not.) No one size fits all.

Indeed, to give credit where due, I've incorporated a toneboard modification in my calls that I believe Ken White deserves thanks for, as I first saw it in a Lares call he helped design. And for some eighteen seasons a Thomas predator call with such a poorly designed wedge that I was afraid I'd remove it one too many times - and wouldn't recommend to anyone - was my field favorite:
    IMG_0598.jpg

(Perhaps miraculously by at least one reckoning, it's cheap plastic toneboard is scarcely scuffed.)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  2. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Not a problem.
    My hackles are not at all up.
    I also just give credit where credit is clearly due.
    Concerning dogs it is not unusual for folks to like different breeds of bird dogs for different uses.
    Have a good season.
    I know we will have another very good season in California. We will be absolutely covered with Specks with the ten per day limit seemingly not making a dent in their numbers.

3. redleg one

redleg one Senior Refuge Member

I have had a good contest career,60 wins,184 top five finishes. 19 speck wins,52 top five finishes. But for me,it still boils down to what works for me in my situation afield. I must have something that breaks long range traffic,thus why I run what I run. Through my contest career starting in 08 to date,I have gone through many self readjustment periods,but the common factor has been realism,long range abilities,and finesse low for finishing birds when it comes to the field. I have confidence in my calls no matter what self adjustments I have made personally,I know my calls work in my situation. It would be assinine for me to say Riceland is not good just because I run Redbone speck and snow calls. Riceland is a good product. And there are others as well. Point being whatever works for a particular caller is what matters. I am still chasing the ultimate realism of the birds and have not caught them,that’s my ultimate driving force.

California Flyway likes this.
  4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Been expecting you, John.

5. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Ken White tuned Straight Speck...