Recommendations for a Chrony

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Oct 30, 2017.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I would like to start testing the speeds of various ammo. Everything from 177 air rifle, various shotgun loads, and big game centerfires.
    What is a good bang for the buck unit.

Thanks

2. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Chrony F1 with the remote panel. Bought one at Cabelas. Seems pretty accurate, at least loads are repeatable, and I get expected velocities or close.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Most of your standard Chronographs usually won't measure every type of projectile you want to fire over them.

Competition Electronics chrono is made for shooting everything from arrows to large caliber rifles over, extremely accurate I've had one for years.
    http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-digital/

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies. Hope I do not regret buying either of your recommended models.

Based on some research, reviews and a great price from Amazon I ordered a
    Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit for $126 shipped.

I will be posting up some velocities of shotgun ammo and report how well this chrony works.
    I am playing around with accurizing/upgrading a .177 pellet rifle and fps will come in handy in developing accurate, heavier pellets that still stay sub sonic.

I also plan to test some duck hunting factory loads to compare with factory advertised velocities.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

But remember tho , it's the Standard Deviation you're after as the Chrony (we can afford) are more for averaging velocities so groups of 5 shots are good
    and groups of 10 shots are better ! I think my F1 manual says this units capable of reading 0 to 7000 fps......maybe !

6. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

Shooting Chrony Alpha-Master. The design is a bit old, but it is still a good chronograph. Remote display is a must - I wouldn't consider one without it.