Recommendations for Waterfowl Guide

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Frog Lips, Feb 5, 2013.

1. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Derek is the real deal! In addition to being a great guy...He is a VERY knowledgeable hunter who also builds great little marsh boats and carves great decoys...a real "triple threat"....

2. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Capt Jeff Kraynik Elite Refuge Member

Nash,

Don't know what's up your arse but my post was not directed @ anyone persons, individual or service.

My point is the FFWCC "does not" regulate or license any guide services here in Florida, so it leads to many "outlaw" service here in the state.

It's the USCG that regulates capt's/guides licenses, not FWC since there are no state laws on the books to do so.

Though we are currently working on it!!!

So I guess you don't know as much as you claim!!!

From the FWC website:

The services listed below are not licensed or regulated by the FWC. As a public service, we allow outfitters and guides to list their businesses. We publish this directory to help you plan your next outing. Hunting and fishing outfitters and guides, as well as bird-watching and wildlife viewing tour guides who operate on certain waters (navigable waterways), are required to possess various types of U.S. Coast Guard “captains’ licenses.” On some waters (land-locked lakes) outfitters and guides are not required to possess captains’ licenses.

For safety reasons, you should determine if an outfitter or guide has an applicable U.S. Coast Guard-issued license.

Accepting monies from clients is one of the "gray areas" & is why the USCG offers the "guides license" for services like kayak services, bass guides inside impoundments & bird watching excursions.

Just because one does not use a boat does not mean they don't need liability insurance.

Heaven forbid a client gets injured, killed or drowns & the family has no recourse because the "guide" did not have liability insurance.

This is why I clarified that who ever he decides on to make sure that "guide" has the proper licenses/insurance.

BTW, welcome back after you banishment from the Refuge forums!!!:dv

3. cuncrt

cuncrt Elite Refuge Member

now that everyone is done whipping it out....we can get back to helping the kid out.

Frog Lips- i would highly reccomend Bender. he is a great guy and nobody will work harder to put you on the ducks than he will.

4. huntmstr

huntmstr New Member

Once again, the paid site guys rally around a site sponsor all so they can bash on Capt. Jeff. You guys are so predictable it's not even funny.

That's debatable. Paid members go there. Most everyone else goes to free sites where they don't get charged to be considered part of the "in crowd". Just ask the executive director. He'll tell you 85% of their members don't even use their forums. Then again, he'll also tell you they get 4 million hits a month (that's more than DU and Calling Ducks.com combined), so take information you get on the net with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of reality.

UWF does some good things and there are some good folks there. I'm sure after looking around at all your options, you'll find what suits you best, Frog.

As for Jack's statement about not needing a license to guide in FL, he's correct to a point. While it may be true that you don't need a captain's license to guide in a non-motorized vessel, a professional guide should have at the very least a liability policy in case you get hurt while hunting. If you are injured as a result of his negligence or if you lose or damage equipment as a result of his negligence, how are you going to be made whole again? Trying to litigate with an individual (whether he has money or not) is much harder than simply putting in a claim with an insurance carrier, especially when liability is in question.

Derek is an excellent duck hunter and an accomplished boat maker and carver, but accidents do happen...even to the best of us. There's no doubt he'll put you on birds and you'll definitely work for them. The choice is yours to make. Best of luck in wading through the BS and finding the right guide for you and the style of hunting in which you want to partake.

5. huntmstr

huntmstr New Member

Funny Jack, I was sitting here after writing the last post wondering what happened that you no longer endorse Capt. Jeff. I was thinking that I recalled you recommending him on this forum numerous times. Many guys did and still do. So I did a quick search. This is what I found...

And that's just a few from you. There's endorsements from many others on here are well... even other professionals like Jeff Coats. So what gives?

6. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Thx Chuck!!!

As for Bender, I believe he hunted with us several years back when he first was getting into duck hunting & remember him to be a talented kid with a willing to learn the traditions of waterfowling.

I've heard he's come a long way in a short time & wish him nothing but luck in anything he does.

I know he guides & builds boats & have in the past recommended that he purchase LLI for his businesses.

Whether he took that recommondation, I can't say but with the high liability areas he has elected to participate in, I would assume he has.

There is plenty of room for professional waterfowl guides here in Florida & it sounds like Bender has become one of us!!!

I wish him nothing but the best in his endevours!!!

7. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Predictable but sad!!!:(

There's even a thread on the paysite now "rallying the troops" to this thread.

Just prior to this thread they was (7) seven people viewing this forum.

Way to stir the poop, Nash!!!

All because I took a post that I have posted many, many times here & on other forums about the lack of accountability & enforcement in regards to outlaw services here in Florida!!!

I've made this same post on many fishing forums also because anyone with a flats boat thinks they can take people out fishing.

Do the outlaws "pizz" me off???

Damn right they do!!!

$1500.00 for a USCG Capt's License then re-up every (5) five:reader
    $150.00 for a TWIC that does nothing for anyone
    $1500.00 a year for LLI
    $200.00 a year for a Guides Fishing Boat License
    $200.00 dollars a year for a Federal License to operate within a NWR
    Plus all the other monies that are needed to be spent to run a "professional" operation before a properly licensed guide

It all adds up before you can even take a dime for yourself.

And BTW, the list in my first post is also on my website, warning potential visitors to our state about the lack of enforecement for guides services.

So Nash, you know what they say when you "azz-sume" something!!!:doh

8. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

And let me clear it up, I still do, however if someone wants my opinion, I give it.

Jeff is a good guy and a great guide. Some of my best friends have DESTROYED the black bellies with him.

However, sometimes we don't see eye to eye. My redirect was for the fact that it apprears after I posted up Bender, then it posted about "outlaw guides"

So I did what anyone who has integrity would do and defended that as it, at least to me, was directed in some way at derreck.

If it wasn;t then why post it up when someone else was mentioned?

All I was saying. Jeff and I are no doubt like two bulls on two seperate hills looking at the cows sometimes. Happens with two Type A's (in so many ways....lol)

9. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

I would go with the guy on the right of this picture. He has more waterfowl knowledge then most anyone I know, is an excellent duck guide, boat builder, bird photographer and decoy carver and CJ I'm pretty sure when he moved here he was not just starting out he has hunted many states all his life he just happened to marry a Florida girl. I'll stick to guiding guides unless someone wants to rent my boat for the day.
    [​IMG]
    Moccasin before the 24/7 ravishing took it's toll.

10. Capt Jeff Kraynik

Are you sure that's not @ Merritt Island this past season???

I heard there was alot of pins & widgeon there also.

Can't wait to grab some permits for the upcoming season!!!

Your picture looks like some of the hunts we had @ MOC during the 2012/2013 season!!!

Glad to see it is remaining open for all the public to enjoy, when they can enjoy it.:amen