Recurve shooters?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Sunklands, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

Do any of you guys shoot and or hunt with a recurve or long bow? I've been bowhunting since I was 12 years old and just last year I started shooting a recurve. I wish I would have made the switch from compound to traditional 20 years ago. I've filled my tag nearly every year since I was 15 and its been my favorite type of hunting. Now that I've switched to traditional (no sights, no rest, no release) its made shooting alot more rewarding.

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I have a recurve and a longbow and love to shoot both. When I had the legs for it, I used to spend all day hunting on the ground for deer. I didn't get many, but had a LOT of fun. If I could, I'd still be hunting like that.

I prefer a compound for tree stand hunting. It's just easier to work with.

3. Sunklands

What type recurve do you have?

4. Buckmark311

Buckmark311 Senior Refuge Member

I like recurve/longbow hunting deer AFTER I have gotten my archery buck for the season. Its hard enough to get one with a compound by me, I don't need to make the game any harder. A few times a year I also go for the geese with flu flu's. that's a lot of fun because you get multiple shots on a flock if you are tucked in nice. there isn't a shotgun blast to scare them.

5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I have a Browning Wasp. Had it since I was 14.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I've always hunted with a recurve because of the added challenge of getting within 25 yards. I think there should be a separate primitive archery season, compounds are far too advanced now and I see guys taking 70 yard+ shots on deer and elk. I started using a recurve for waterfowl last season and had more fun not getting anything than I've ever had shooting a gun and killing hundreds of birds per season.

7. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

I used to shoot with a recurve, but I shoot primitive now. Took a 12 year break from archery and I only have my 47" defelexed modified plains bow that still shoots. Working on 8 target arrows and 3 broadhead arrows. My broadheads are hand made from old circular saw blades and 125 grain when I am done with them.

I'll probably be limiting my shots to 10 - 12 yards, but they are thick and stupid at my buddies farm.

8. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

9. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Yo, Jeffer! It's great to see you stop by. It's been too long, my friend.

Enjoying some of your newer videos even though I can no longer shoot a recurve due to that good ol' arthritis flaring up in my shooting fingers.

It's also great to see Lucy picking up the sport so well. She'll be a fine role model for women, and may even shame some guys into the sport. You go, Lucy!

Hope all is well.

Chuck

10. Sunklands

IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2530.JPG IMG_2686.JPG IMG_2987.PNG
    I've watched almost all your videos and you do a great job explaining. They really helped me several years ago when I decided to go to traditional.
    I haven't done a lot of bow hunting yet this fall but did get a nice gobbler back in spring.