Red Fox Labs

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by MDcanvasback, Dec 5, 2013.

1. MDcanvasback

MDcanvasback Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys,

This spring I plan to buy a female lab. I am looking into the Red Fox variety. If anyone knows of a good breeder or kennel that has a solid reputation for good hunting retrievers with a good blood line or a stellar Dame/Sire combination that plans to breed in the future please pass the information my way!

Also, does anyone on here have Red Fox Labs? I have hunted over a few of them and really liked those particular dogs temperment, drive, and body shape and build. Unfortunately these were already clipped so no puppies from them.

I am looking for a pup that I can train for retrieving, be a family dog, and be with me all the time. While I want the hunting drive, but I am realistic that I cannot handle the drive of some field trial or hunter trail dogs, especailly with this being my first lab I will be training. A few of my hunting partners have high test dogs and they are insane hunting machines, but they are not what I am looking for and they had to be sent away from professional training before they could be hunted and I cannot afford expensive trainer bills as this point in my life.

If I cannot find the right Red Fox Dame/Sire I will look into other colors (probably Black) to ensure I get the best lab for me and what I plan on doing with the dog.

So please send any information my way. I greatly appreciate it

Thanks!

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

3. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

Look up Robert Milner of Duckhill Kennels. He usually has a few litters a year with some of those being "Fox Reds" from his British line, that may be just what you are looking for.!

4. ALLYDEER

ALLYDEER Senior Refuge Member

a buddy of mine has a very nice litter due dec 19 of fox reds she is a master hunter and the sire is fc very nice breeding to do hunting/ hunt test/ and field trials she is a real sweet dog in and out of the house

5. WI WATERFOWL

WI WATERFOWL Senior Refuge Member

6. boykinhntr

boykinhntr Elite Refuge Member

I can personally recommend a few options from Duckhill Kennels. Tex and Boomer are 2 great sires. Tex typically throws extremely driven dogs with a little more go than Boomer. Boomer is very laid back and throws pups that tend to lean more that way. Both have proven to produce awesome dogs.

The dams I like would be Breeze and Rita.

My dog is from Tex/Breeze.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. boykinhntr

The dog on the left is a Boomer pup. Mumford and a Rooster share the blind most weekends.

[​IMG]

8. boykinhntr

9. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I only skimmed his website, so I may have missed something.
    I see that his breeding dogs are OFA for hips and tested for PRA :tu
    But I didn't see any mention of OFA for Elbows, CNM or EIC or even a regular CERF examination.

I also didn't see (I probably missed) health guarantees for the puppies.

10. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

If there is any concern about health guarantees I suggest contacting Mr. Milner. I have heard nothing but positive remarks from those who have gotten pups from him and all of my correspondences have been pleasant. I think he is a stand up kinda guy and his reputation would support that.