Red Fox Labs

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by MDcanvasback, Dec 5, 2013.

1. boykinhntr

boykinhntr Elite Refuge Member

I can't remember if he does elbows but he does not test for EIC. Pups carry a 26 month guarantee. He will NOT DVR you over. When you buy a pup from him you have all his resources at your disposal. He wants to see you succeed.

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Then I would suggest that MDcanvasback contact Milner and let us all know what he says about :
    CNM
    EIC
    Elbows
    CERF

3. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

if you really want to know you could ask him yourself.

4. Doc E

I have 100% certanty that I have 100% NO interest in one of his dogs.
    That's why I suggested that MDcanvasback get ahold of him -- just in case he might be interested.

5. Call Turner

Call Turner Senior Refuge Member

Doc, Im a little new to some of the tests. What is CNM, PRA and EIC? I know about hips, eyes and elbows. Thanks Mike.

6. Doc E

7. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Getting back to the original premise......

"This spring I plan to buy a female lab. I am looking into the Red Fox variety. If anyone knows of a good breeder or kennel that has a solid reputation for good hunting retrievers with a good blood line or a stellar Dame/Sire combination that plans to breed in the future please pass the information my way!

Also, does anyone on here have Red Fox Labs? I have hunted over a few of them and really liked those particular dogs temperment, drive, and body shape and build."

I have a fox red Lab (see avatar). His color has nothing to do with all the important things I want from my dogs. The only reason I have a fox red fox Lab is because Gunny was the singleton pup from a repeat FC AFC breeding that I did with my MH. Yes, he is an "eye catcher"......but color had "nothing to do" with "what he can do....or not do". The only thing placing so much emphasis on color causes it greatly limits possible choices.

It's a buyer's market......don't tie your hands behind your back. :reader

8. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

All true!

But just as some want a Chocolate, some like a Fox Red and that is okay too. With some homework you can find good healthy Fox reds or Chocolates.

9. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Here are the final criteria I focused on for picking my first Lab. She turned out to be Taffey (see signature).......she ended up earning many titles, has been an outstanding family dog, easy to train even for a first timer (most of the time), great hunting dog (upland and waterfowl), did a few years of upland guide work and was hunting well past 12 years old.....more than I dreamed of.

The usual health certs were in place (breeder well noted for being a stickler on this). The breeding had a family history for producing outstanding hunters...some with titles. The stud was extremely well established (multiple verifications) in both venues (testing and hunting).....but most of all it was a repeat breeding.

During the almost year long search, I never talked to a single breeder that didn't think the litter they were selling was a good deal. Ask for references and expect some bias. What you are really looking for are any reason for "not going there".....red flags.

I received terrific reference reports from owners of pups from the first litter. The one that convinced me was "I've trained quite a few Labs and my pup from this breeding is by far the best one I've every trained." I put a deposit down the next day. Second breedings with great references plus health clearances cover all the bases and greatly increase your odds. Then all you need to do is let the right puppy pick you. :tu

I will end by doggedly (no pun intended) sticking to my orginal premise........"going red" is way too limiting......especially for a first time buyer. :reader

edit: Define "homework". :z

10. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

True "red" generally comes from the Irish lines of Labrador Retrievers (also called "British Labs" though the Irish don't care for the reference).

Your least investment in a retriever is the initial cost. True British lineage which typifies the traits that you desire is typically priced stateside at $1,000 and up.

I personally know Decland Boyle (http://www.irishtriallinglabradors.co.uk/) and he has judged trials for us (http://www.britishfieldtrialsociety.com/) here in the U.S. Decland also has a contact here in the U.S. - Ace Berry (http://www.acesretrievers.com/)

This is a different retriever from what is typically found here with American lineage, and these canines atone to softer, gentler training techniques that are often found through American e-collar trainers. Still the pure British retrievers that I have and have owned exhibit no less desire and stamina.