"red" labs

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by 2WIDGN, Jan 4, 2015.

1. fetch it up

fetch it up Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

love the 'worried' look on this pup's face. beautiful coloring. the "red" lab gene pool is very small in California. most are bench bred dogs that are beautiful but lack the drive or stamina that most hunters look for. I my self have always been a black dog guy but I would definitely consider the right "red" yellow male. All the dogs posted in this thread are great looking. The one going over the fence with a bumper makes me a little nervous though. at least it wasn't barbed wire I guess.

2. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

There were just born and there are some Fox reds

3. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

4. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Fox red is now passe.

Charcoal is the new silver.

5. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

oh geeeez...moronic statement.....let me guess you own a silver lab??

6. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Nope, meth lab!

7. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Moronic? I don't think so. There ARE people who breed only for the colors fox red and "white". You need to do your research which ones are breeding for more than color.

8. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore Senior Refuge Member

If you search the term "Fox Red" the first 10 or so websites which pop up specifically state that they are breeders of "Fox Red Labs". They didn't list their skills, titles or accomplishments the websites listed the color or, more specifically the qualification title, "Fox Red Labs".

If you google "field trial lab breeding" this was a quote in one of the first websites to pop up.

"First decide which breed of retriever you want. Labrador Retrievers come in black, yellow and chocolate color. I like to put birdiness, training ability, and natural ability, at the top of my list of requirements, and color as secondary. The more you narrow down your requirements, as to size, color and sex, the longer it will take, to fill the bill. There are numerous black Labrador field champions, and therefore a very large gene pool to draw from, to produce good field dogs. There are less yellow field champions and very few chocolates. Therefore as breeders we often must compromise on field ability to get a particular color. If color is your first priority, it may take a little longer and be more difficult, to locate a litter with good field ability."

9. LastFrontierLabs

LastFrontierLabs Elite Refuge Member

I knew I wanted a fox red yellow when I started looking for a pup, but it was not the first priority. HEALTH of the parents and dogs in the pedigree was first priority, next was working ability (titles on sire and dam), also important was temperament of sire and dam and breeder knowledge. Does the breeder know what they are doing or did they just throw the dogs together. So many dog traits that had to come together, it can take a long time to find what you are looking for. This forum and RTF are valuable resources when it comes to finding reputable breeders.

10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Gunny was NOT bred so as to have a fox red retriever. I bred my MH Taffey (yellow) to an AFC FC (dark yellow).

He just happened to be "fox red". When the light was perfect the "look" was striking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Hey Mom...am I really yellow?".............................................Yes, my son."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015