"red" labs

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by 2WIDGN, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore Senior Refuge Member

they just bred the lab with chesapeakes and golden retrievers to get the dark yellow. lol

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Happy

You forgot the Viszla for those of us who have Fox Red Pointing Labs.

3. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

I didn't think you could 'breed' for 'red' labs. The genetic color phases are black, chocolate and yellow (ranging from white to red). Personally, I didn't want a 'black' and all the breeder had left was a 'red' pup. I chose her, and it now looks like she'll turn into a 'dark yellow'. I feel really bad about not wanting a black pup.....the black color is discriminated against in everything from labs to house cats....it's been this way since the Medieval times.

4. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore Senior Refuge Member

Labs don't point they hesitate

5. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

Yes you have!!

6. Missy Skeeter

Missy Skeeter Senior Refuge Member

That is over 300 ducks per year...with the daily bag limit in Tennessee, just curious how do you accomplish over 300 ducks per year?

(In Alaska, the bag limit is 10 ducks per day, possession limit 30 ducks and I don't come anywhere near 300 ducks per year, even including training with live flyers twice a week all summer).

7. AM 1

AM 1 Elite Refuge Member

If he hunts with friends and he has the only dog it's pretty easy to get to that number.

8. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

really?? i meant it was a moronic and baiting question....i know what google says...my point was the guy was being a dooooosh by asking the question...i hoped.... hopefully he was baiting and not being serious....but who knows,,like the guy that asked if chocolates are slow learners...have fun...

9. LastFrontierLabs

LastFrontierLabs Elite Refuge Member

If you have not been around many Fox reds, it is a legit question. If you are just googling them to try to find one, it might appear that there aren't any decent working ones out there. Sooo, I didn't think it was a moronic question at all. It is quite a task to find good working fox reds.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  10. Richard Finch

Richard Finch Elite Refuge Member

300 ducks a year is very easily accomplished.... My guide dog "Gander" would most days be the only dog for 4-6 guns.... He had lots of 25-30 bird days.... Doesn't take long to add up.... He was normally 5-600 per season on ducks, 75-100 Canadians, and countless spring snow geese....

BTW: Your boy Mojo is about as dark as I've ever seen.... Your boy looks great 2 Jim!