Red legged partridge

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Oak apple, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Oak apple

Oak apple Senior Refuge Member

2. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez Elite Refuge Member

It looks fine, have it done. If you're concerned about the wing tips, have a standing mount done. Personally, I didn't think the wing tips looked all that bad.

Frank

3. Oak apple

They were pretty bad in my opinion worse than a turkey's. I will go with a standing mount that's what I wanted anyway. Is this a prime bird? If I can get one or two more Shane smith will be getting them. It was my first upland kill. He is pen raised we hunt next to a huge preserve. Our property has very few quail,chukars,red legs,and ringneck pheasants.

4. Oak apple

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    The more I have looked at this picture the worse they appear in my mind I'm going with another pose any ideas besides the typical standing. Any ideas not many other poses that aren't flying.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Looks like the wings have been clipped (We clip wings on birds to train the dogs on live falls)? Possibly put into a small caged area and created wear on the wings (similar to short tails on pen raised pheasants)?

They do not strut like a turkey to my knowledge, but I am a bit unfamiliar with their courtship behavior.

Pretty bird... I would do a standing mount and ask the taxi about tucking those wings into the flank feathers.

6. Oak apple

Alight will do thanks for the input.

7. WATERDOGS

WATERDOGS Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

My thought is if you want to mount a chuker you need to hunt wild ones to appreciate them:l This is the kind of stuff our wild birds hang in.

Attached Files:

8. Oak apple

:eek::eek: that's some pretty thick stuff. That looks very tiring to walk. Have to give it to you northern guys. Too hot for any of that here . Sadly the biggest mountain in this area is the dump . Where we hunt a game farm next to us hunts them and they throw them out of the tower and they come over on our side to feeders. IMO it's better to kill them because they are just going to die in the long run by bobcats,hawks,coyote, coons, and so on. I don't waste any game I kill . My dad killed a pheasant out there and I cleaned it for him and everything this was a few years ago before I knew how to cook game and it went to waste :cry after that never wasted a piece of game I vacuum pack it all and try to eat game 2 times a month so less waste.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Big, big difference between planted and wild chuckar... The first time you go hunting for wild chuckar is for fun... The following hunts are all for revenge...

Someone on this forum gave some advice about learning to shoot chuckar at the range (wish I remember who it was)...

In all fairness to the OP though he has a red legged partridge which is actually a different (and a bit prettier) subspecies...

10. WATERDOGS

WATERDOGS Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Ha! Ha! That is my saying!:l They are hard work and to be a serious chuker hunter takes dedication and grit far more than I am willing to give but I do go out with my shorthair and chase them for dog work and to get a workout. Just to hunt in wild chuker country is enough for me. I live within ten miles of good chuker country. We call them chukers, yuppies call them partridge and most likely have never shot a wild bird.