Red legged partridge

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Oak apple, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Oak apple

Oak apple Senior Refuge Member

I respect you guys for walking up and down those hills not for me I bet it's tons of fun I have never gotten to hunt upland game and really want to . These pen raised birds are so stupid but they don't know any different this farm is right next to a highway and you see them smashed all the time . It was hard for me to kill him without messing him up. .22 at about 7-8 yards open sights luckily broke his spine perfect shot right where the neck connects to the breast. One day I want to go up there with an outfitter I think it would be fun. Just curious is there any species they taste like. I planned on mounting any chukar I get that is in good condition so it finally happened. I found a really cool stump out there right next to where I killed him I will see if the taxi can make that a base or something. I walked down the fence line and put out some milo hoping to get another this weekend :dv . Have seen ringneck pheasants out there , chukars, and some bobwhite not sure if it was a wild covey or not I don't think it was since there are so many bobcats out there.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

As I said, the first time you go chuckar hunting is for fun... Every time after that is in the hopes of revenge...

I have never caught them on flat ground, and I have had days when we saw plenty and killed none. They love to run (and not downhill)... As soon as they reach the top of the ridge, they fly down the other side... And they don't fly 100 or 200 yards... They fly across the canyon to the next ridge.

I have not had them hold tight very often (snow can help with that though), and when they have held, they generally manage to get up behind me.:doh

I have killed a handful of chuckar and do not really chase them much as I have to travel a bit to do so... But the birds I have killed have generally been long shots... The few that have held well and busted close, I have shown absolutely no mercy...:no

I have come to appreciate valley quail. They are much closer to home, and although they also like to run, they are far more cooperative than the chuckar I have hunted... And, when they do bust early, a long flight for them is a couple hundred yards...

3. birdhntr

birdhntr Senior Refuge Member

My legs hurt just reading this post.:) I'm the same way with mounting birds that we normally don't see out here so I would stick with a standing mount to cover the tips for that bird if your concerned about them. Our western chukar which is not the same as a red leg doesn't have the same feather pattern around the neck. Chukar have a solid black band around the head and comes to a V in the front rather than the ticked feather pattern which is a red leg(non expert opinion). That's about the only difference other than how you hunt them. When all you have to do is stick your arm straight out to lean against the hill you know your in chukar country.:dv

4. Oak apple

Oak apple Senior Refuge Member

That just sounds awful but fun are there any good outfitters or anyone I may be able to book a hunt with just curious and are they as good as people make them out to be. The owner of the game farm I can contact him and he will give it to me free.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Where do you want to book a hunt?

I would look at Idaho on the Snake River, or talk to some people on the Montana forum about hunting huns and sharpies...

I know there are a number of cast & blast outfitters on the Snake:

https://www.mtnriveroutfitters.com/cast and blast.htm

I would also ask on the state forums about the hatch before booking a trip... Upland populations rise and fall very quickly... Best quail hunting I have had in recent years was in an area that was devoid of quail for years... Two good spring seasons, and the area had the biggest covies I have ever seen...

Following year was dry, and the birds were gone...

But I would look at the areas that have the birds you want to hunt, and post a question on that state forum...

6. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Truer words were never spoken. Hunted them 4 times, I was in my 30s!
    Tough hunting but I enjoyed it. My GSP was a master at handling wild birds, he's prolly the major reason we were successful. But I watched that dog several times each day, point birds, and by the time they hit the ground dead they had dropped 150' of elevation. By the time he'd get back to me, he was winded! Hell I was winded watching him climb back up to me. :) Fun times!

Doug

7. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

In my youth I hunted them regularly. Once at the end of a frustrating day .. lots of encounters, no birds. My hunting partner announced that if he ever killed another one he was going to bite off its head, have the headed mounted by a taxidermist and never hunt them again.