Redirects

Discussion in 'Help & Tech Support Forum' started by Ruff, Nov 14, 2017.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Yes, dozens of members are reporting have problems with only this website, but they must all have defective phones, because the website is not the problem.

:l:l:l

BTW, not sure if you are privy to this info (I'd guess not), but one of the admins here recently (like, a few days ago) contacted the owner because he has been having big problems as well. I don't know why you continue to vehemently defend the site and pass the blame to users. The problem is not the phones, it is the site. You have no idea what you are talking about and you are dead wrong.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You have a reading comprehension problem.

I SAID the website transmitted the problem. The owner has posted the same. It ISN'T the website now, it is the infection that was transmitted to the phone. It is activated by visiting the website. The virus/malware identifies the website address, and it activated each time you log in.

FACT: Not all (or even a large percentage of) users are affected.
    FACT: When the user takes the time to follow the steps of cleaning their phone, the problem goes away.

I just went through something like this with both our computers. I am on a metered internet provider, 12GB's per month. Suddenly, 3 days into the cycle, our usage was exhausted. Because I DO know something about computer problems, I downloaded the proper malware cleaning programs, and discovered 3 PUP's on my computer, and 125 PUP's on the wifes. Cleaned them out, no more problems.

So, keep on crying, and shifting the blame all you want. You DID get the infection from this website. The owner has admitted that. The ONLY reason you still have the problem is you have not taken the time to research the proper ways to clean out YOUR phone, YOUR browser. If you spent 1/10th the time researching solutions, instead of posting your complaints, you wouldn't have the problem any more.

https://www.addictivetips.com/ios/how-to-get-rid-of-maliciously-injected-ads-in-chrome-for-ios/

http://www.citymac.com/blog/2015/06/16/how-to-prevent-redirects-in-safari

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

http://trendyandroid.com/how-to-get-rid-of-congratulations-you-won-virus-android/

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

4. TheDuckSlayer

Nah, the problem here is your complete and utter misunderstanding of the issue. The issue is not with cached site files like you claim, or else the simple act of clearing the history and cookies would fix the issue. Like has been stated many times- Clearing. Cookies. Does. Not. Fix. It. The issue is with embedded malware in the JavaScript on some of the 3rd party advertising on the site. THAT is where the problem lies. IF the 3rd party advertising were to go away, then the malware that causes the redirects would magically go away, too. I upgraded to the latest version of iOS last night in a last ditch effort to no avail.

I’m tired of complaining about it, and frankly it’s become too much hassle to use the site. I truly hope for the owner’s sake that he gets the issues worked out, because there is no doubt that it is costing him much potential site traffic. Peace.

5. Native NV Ducker

I realized today my wife has an Iphone. Nine, I think. So, at the hut, I asked her to let me use it. Logged into the site, first as a visitor, then as myself. No pop-ups.
    So, if it is/was the site, how is this possible?

6. TheDuckSlayer

You can continue to take a “head in the sand” approach if you’d like, or you can be proactive and alert the admins/owners to the problem so they can fix it. Here is a pretty good write-up on malware embedded in advertisements causing forced redirects:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/readwrite.com/2014/05/15/app-redirects-mobile-spam-ads/amp/

Ignore/deny the problem and lose revenue, or fix the problem and increase traffic and revenue... up to y’all.

7. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Don't give up so quickly NV. You surf this site with her phone long enough and you'll have the experience. What I can't figure out is why some days it happens constantly and other days not at all.

8. Native NV Ducker

Pot, meet kettle. How many times do I need to post this?
    THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE SITE. IT WAS INFECTED. THE INFECTION WAS CLEARED, BUT THE PROBLEM WITH WHAT IT DID TO THOSE THAT WERE EXPOSED REMAINS.

9. Native NV Ducker

Nawww. I surf the way God intended, on a PC.:l
    My eyes can spot a duck, and tell you what it is, a LONG ways away, but I can't read text on a phone for squat. I got reading cheaters in 10 different places to get me through the day.

10. Native NV Ducker

Did you even READ the article you linked?
    In the past two weeks I have been forced into Apple’s App Store not once, not twice—but five times from a handful of different websites.

Turns out The Awl was just as frustrated as I was. A representative for the company told me it’s an insidious problem that’s been plaguing the site for a couple weeks.

The Awl is not alone. These ads have been hitting websites all over, and publishers are struggling to take them down. NBC Sports had a similar problem earlier this year.
    Mobile ad redirects result when malicious—or maybe just faulty—JavaScript in a mobile ad runs on a Web page. When you’re browsing your favorite website and suddenly find yourself in an app store, it’s the result of a bad deep link.

Don’t go angrily tweet that your favorite site is serving up shoddy ads as soon as you’re thrown into an app store. It’s not the publisher’s fault. It’s not the fault of Apple, Google or Microsoft, either.

You keep saying it is just this site. Obviously, it isn't. This is just the one you spend all your time on. The entire internet is getting hit.

BTW, this was a 2014 article. It has solutions in it. I have told everyone to research the problem, but no, they just want to complain. You could have avoided the problem for years if you had just done some research.