Redirects

Discussion in 'Help & Tech Support Forum' started by Ruff, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I realized today my wife has an Iphone. Nine, I think. So, at the hut, I asked her to let me use it. Logged into the site, first as a visitor, then as myself. No pop-ups.
    So, if it is/was the site, how is this possible?

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

You can continue to take a “head in the sand” approach if you’d like, or you can be proactive and alert the admins/owners to the problem so they can fix it. Here is a pretty good write-up on malware embedded in advertisements causing forced redirects:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/readwrite.com/2014/05/15/app-redirects-mobile-spam-ads/amp/

Ignore/deny the problem and lose revenue, or fix the problem and increase traffic and revenue... up to y’all.

3. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Don't give up so quickly NV. You surf this site with her phone long enough and you'll have the experience. What I can't figure out is why some days it happens constantly and other days not at all.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Pot, meet kettle. How many times do I need to post this?
    THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE SITE. IT WAS INFECTED. THE INFECTION WAS CLEARED, BUT THE PROBLEM WITH WHAT IT DID TO THOSE THAT WERE EXPOSED REMAINS.

5. Native NV Ducker

Nawww. I surf the way God intended, on a PC.:l
    My eyes can spot a duck, and tell you what it is, a LONG ways away, but I can't read text on a phone for squat. I got reading cheaters in 10 different places to get me through the day.

6. Native NV Ducker

Did you even READ the article you linked?
    In the past two weeks I have been forced into Apple’s App Store not once, not twice—but five times from a handful of different websites.

Turns out The Awl was just as frustrated as I was. A representative for the company told me it’s an insidious problem that’s been plaguing the site for a couple weeks.

The Awl is not alone. These ads have been hitting websites all over, and publishers are struggling to take them down. NBC Sports had a similar problem earlier this year.
    Mobile ad redirects result when malicious—or maybe just faulty—JavaScript in a mobile ad runs on a Web page. When you’re browsing your favorite website and suddenly find yourself in an app store, it’s the result of a bad deep link.

Don’t go angrily tweet that your favorite site is serving up shoddy ads as soon as you’re thrown into an app store. It’s not the publisher’s fault. It’s not the fault of Apple, Google or Microsoft, either.

You keep saying it is just this site. Obviously, it isn't. This is just the one you spend all your time on. The entire internet is getting hit.

BTW, this was a 2014 article. It has solutions in it. I have told everyone to research the problem, but no, they just want to complain. You could have avoided the problem for years if you had just done some research.

7. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Of course I read it, why are you changing the subject? I’ve read countless articles on the issue, ranging from 2014 until Nov. 2017, and they all basically say the same thing- the one that I posted just happened to be at the top of the list. Technically speaking, yes, the problem is not the site itself, but with the 3rd party advertising on the site. There are ways to find exactly which advertiser is causing the problem, but the onus is on those with a proprietary interest in the Refuge to actually spend the time and money to root out the offender and fix the problem. I’m indifferent to the whole situation at this point, so long as my viewing experience continues to be uninterrupted by redirects.

8. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

I see the other thread got deleted on the main forum. Guess you can't have people working around the problem and blocking adds. Has anyone tried using private browsing to see if that stops it? That should stop any cookies from being deposited. Duckslayer could be right. It is one advertiser in the third party software that is causing the problem.

upload_2017-12-8_22-38-43.png

9. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Looking at what is getting blocked and it looks like several of these sites are forced redirects links

ap.ligit.com and fastlane. sure look suspect. I really have no clue how the third party ad software works but I would certainly hope the admins do. I would think they could block certain redirects on the server side. really....one called ap.ligit.com...... sure that is perfectly legit.

upload_2017-12-8_22-53-27.png

10. Native NV Ducker