Redtail Hawks #1 upland enemy!!!!!

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by duckmaster56, Mar 23, 2002.

1. ashes

ashes Senior Refuge Member

I am saying by controlling coyotes, foxes, "etc." you will see a greater affect on the number of pheasants surviving for alonger period of time. by controlling raptor numbers you will NOT see any such increase...simply because raptors are not your number 1 enemy (on the overall picture here, on the national level, NOT your local area of northwest ohio). what you are seeing is only what is taking place on a local area. so you have this 300 acres of "decent" habitat for pheasants sitting out in thousands upon thousands of acres of terrible pheasant habitat, land that is extensively row cropped, e.g. loss of fence rows, loss of buffer strips, loss of alot of CRP ground, all for one purpose: CASH CROPS, the more land I can till for corn, wheat, soybeans, the more money I make off my land.
    so hence, you have created an ISLAND of good habitat and now the raptors are eating your birds? heck yea, the raptors are keying in on this island, duh!
    so here is my two cents, go after some kind of program to help support farmers and give them incentive to leave some good habitat cover.
    PUBLIC ENEMY #1 TO HUNTING IS PEOPLE WITH IDEAS SUCH AS YOURS. My opinion and seems to be the opinion of everyone else on here, and to any one who knows what the words "wildlife management" mean. what is wrong with game bird populations in northwest ohio? Fence row to fence row farming, period.

2. tsodak

tsodak Elite Refuge Member

I used to think same as you thorn, but have changedy tune. A fall in fox populations here has had a much larger impact on upland pops than the continuing rise of raptor pops. Now, I like a hawk at the base of a phone pole as much as the next guy. But a rosy red or a kitty kitty does the harm 10 hawks do. I agree they should not be sacred. But our rnergies are best spent elsewhere. A CO here in the sixties told my dad" bury em deep and dont tell your wife" a good rule of thumb with hawks.;)

3. Mark

Mark Senior Refuge Member

I think all of you are off. What is getting the upland bird populations, specifically quail are UFOs. They are abducting quail at an alarming rate and transporting them inter-galatically to a quail only plant that is free of natural predators. It is our job to find the location of Quail Planet X and build a rocket ship filled with GSPs, Browning O/Us and cases of Winchester AAs in 7 1/2s and pay a visit to this quail santuary.

Over and out. Watching the skys, the truth is out there.

4. forda

forda Guest

If hawks spend all of their time feasting on nest predators, why do the boys netting hawks for banding studies use a live pigeon for bait?:confused: :confused:

5. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Elite Refuge Member

Harnessed pigeons are great raptor lures. You have to ask why? Common sense. The pigeon is struggling to get away, bounces around and gets nowhere. Now, during all its struggles it's drawing tons of attn and looks like easy pickings. What preator would pass up killing a wounded animal?????

Now, to blow a huge whole in your little jibe... I have captured hundreds of raptors, hawks, falcons, and owls. Many with harnessed pigeons. I have NEVER seen one attacked, by a raptor, that wasn't used as bait. Sure, they do, especially the falcons, but it's not common forage for a redtail. I've seen tons of pigeons feeding and roosting right under hunting red-tails. I've pitched harnessed pigeons to these same birds. Never caught 'em with a pigeon. Why not? Because the red-tail knows it's generally a waste of energy to try to catch an unemcumbered pigeon. There isn't a bird species out there that is a better flier than the average pigeon. I' have gone back with a Bal-Chatri (trap baited with mice/gerbils/voles, or the like) and caught the same bird that wouldn't hit my pigeon. A buddy has caught 'em using kittens as bait. Yeah!!!! :D

I think Mark hit it on the head though!!!!! It's definetely the UFO's. Not only are they secretly taking our game birds, but they're also releasing black panthers in Illinois.

6. Packman

Packman Elite Refuge Member

For those of you complaining about hawks but lets the kids cat out you might want to read this.Cats

7. JKR

JKR Guest

Mark,

I too have heard strange sounds and seen bright lights while camping at my favorite quail spot. The sound was kind of a TTTTTTTTTHUP, TTTTTTTTTTTHUP,TTTTTTTTTTTTHUP as if small birds (possibly quail size) were being sucked into the tube at the bank..

The next morning while on my way to the hunting spot I noticed small quail shaped crop circles and the ground appeared hard and glassy as if subjected to a large amount of heat and pressure.

Talking about this incident has jarred my memory and I somehow have visions of a small alien creature with two apple shaped heads, wearing only a Quilamine vest and Browning Kangaroo boots asking me repeated questions about Briley tubes and the best way to remove the auto-safety on an over and under Beretta.

I was then injected in the neck with a substance resembling doe in heat scent and was returned to the campground.

I now also believe that UFO’S are the greatest threat to upland game hunting, as we know it.

Because of this I am converting my top barrel to 50 BMG so as to have a fighting chance against these quail stealing monsters.

Jay

8. Yellardawg

Yellardawg Elite Refuge Member

9. forda

forda Guest

I surrender. It's UFOs that eliminate game birds. It has nothing to do with man's attitude toward the environemnt for the last 300 years and management people throwing out platitudes and absolutes trying to explain and deal with unsolvable problems.

The only law of survival in nature is that there are no laws. There are predators and there are prey. For lack of a better explanation, I buy the idea that the most serious predators are aliens.:rolleyes:

10. Mark

Mark Senior Refuge Member

UFO problem, resolved.

I just bought my new robo ufo Decoy. It is actually a two part set. The first part resembles a small (7 - 11) covey of quail that wherlls the wings and makes quail noises (you can get California, Valley, Mountail or Bobwhite depending on your location) and the second part is a UFO that moves and flashes lights. I assume that since UFOs are migratory that I need a Federal stamp and so I got one, so I should be ok with the Government. Since I am hunting in an upland area I am using high base #2 in 2 oz loads with a briley full choak. For back up I have a 50 cal.

I placed the covey of quail decoys 35 yards from the blind facing a guzzler. The UFO decoy is just over the hill with its quail intake Hose (QIH) coming off the hill towards the quail. I have a Haydell Q4 UFO call (it is a quad barrel quad reed type call, good action on it) I have been practicing a UFO feed chuckle and I almost have it as all the windows in my neiborhood are exploded from the ultra sonic noise this thing creates. I will practice high balls later.

I used Jay's advice an sought areas that had quail crop circles and that glazzed thing as a good sign that UFO had been in the area.

Wish me luck!! I'll report back later. Anyone know a good taxidermest to get this trophy mounted? Wonder what the limit is?

Watching the skys, the truth is out there!!

Mark

I am one of 4 licenced Bigfoot guides in California if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I have a real nice bull bigfoot in full mating plumage that is mounted in my livingroom holding an albino penguin. Long story about the penguin.