Redtail Hawks #1 upland enemy!!!!!

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by duckmaster56, Mar 23, 2002.

1. duckmaster56

duckmaster56 Guest

ashes, You sound a little wet behind the ears!!!!!If you are not at least 45,you don't know how good the hunting was in the 50's and 60's in the area we are talking about!!!!!There are old home movies that show all kinds of pheasants in that area...Second of all do you think the pheasant migrated here from China by thereself????

2. ashes

ashes Senior Refuge Member

duckmaster56: you grow more ignorant everyday. so just how old are you? Rewind those old movies. pay attention to how much the agricultural land has changed! In the 50's and 60's you had abundant cover. Where is that now? GONE!!! And where are your pheasants? GONE!!!! Why? Add the two together, man, the agricultural practices have changed and now you have no habitat for pheasants. Pheasants can not adapt to these kind of changes, they require specific habitat conditions. The pheasant migrating question is obsurd? The reason Europeans introduced the pheasants in the 1800's was for pure shooting enjoyment. Go get the land maps for your county, they were done around 1975 and just look how much things have changed since then! CRP land gone, fence row gone, now all you have is a bunch of flat land with row crops on it for the sole purpose of cash cropping. Look at your deer population in nw ohio. It is very low! But it is probably at or near it's carrying capacity! because your counties lack sufficient habitat for wildlife. Once again, hawks are not harming your pheasant population, the farmers are with the newest technology for row cropping. heck Thorn does that mean you can shoot farmers now? hehehehehehe.
    You could remove all forms of predator mortality in nw ohio, and restock 1000's of birds, and you still will not have a viable population of pheasants. You have poor habitat conditions there!!!!!!!!!

3. Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter Elite Refuge Member

About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23 people)
    My mammie is crazy, in her late eighties, owns some really nasty dogs, and lives in the mountains all by herself. She loves feeding the song and mountain birds in her back yard. Every time a hawk tries to swoop down and kill one of her birds she smokes it with a .12 gauge. I say good for her! Anybody on here got the balls to go up on that mountain and tell her that she can’t??? NOT ME!!!

4. JKR

JKR Guest

Hell I'm just impressed Mammie can still shoot a 12 GA. Good for her!

J

5. the big bumper

the big bumper Refuge Member

Looks like all you people ot there that hate hawks because they kill stupid pen-raised birds have finally listen to reason.Looks like the light has came on, it's not the hawks it's the habitat.I am so proud of you people who have realized your hatered for hawks is really stupid.I hope now you go to your legislators and fight for money that will improve wildlife habitat and lay off hawk. This stupid fight against the hawk is friviolous as you all know.

6. KYHunter

KYHunter Guest

ASHES has already correctly outlined the problems associated with managing for our declining small game populations--agriculture, habitat fragmentation, and poor habitat management that favors food, not proper cover. As far as hawks go, deal with it. That is the law, and all THORN is gonna get out of me is 1/2 a drop of **** in a bucket over his whines about his non-native pheasants being eaten by our NATIVE wildlife species. BOO-HOOO. My only regret is that this idiot has damaged the whole hunting community with his wannabe biologist thoughts about what the "real" problem is. I, and several others on here have the backgrounds to know that it is not hawks that are destroying our small game populations, but it is the thoughts, mouths, and actions of individuals (definately not Hunters or Sportsmen) such as Mr. Thorn, and Mr. Duckmaster that are irrepairably damaging the public view of our great Ethical outdoorsmen. My only regret is that they didn't fine his #$$ the full $15g, and stick his @## in jail for 6 months!!

7. GSP

GSP Guest

The debate on this subject was the killing of hawks or birds of prey. I do not have a problem with the killing of birds of prey doing harm to a persons property. I have witnessed a hawk camping on a covey of young quail for a week. I have witnessed hawks camping out on a barn-lot of chickens too. I am not advocating the full eradication of the birds or an open season. I am saying that a person should be able to protect their property and should be premitted to keep them in check. I know this will never happen. For whomever tries introducing it will be committing political suicide.

It seems that the biggest argument against any removal of birds of prey come from biologist. Their defense is, birds of prey kill nest robbers. That I can’t argue, but something was left out. They kill ANYTHING they can. Birds of prey will kill, rats, mice, quail, chickens, snakes, skunks and cats.

May I ask a question? Why do we have open season on Yotes and a season on Bobcats and foxes? Hawks and owls eat the exact same diet as foxes and Bobcats, with the exception of some seed, but hawks are not to be touched, while Yotes are to be eradicated year ‘round? This does not seem to be a balanced equation. From a scientific standpoint, I see no difference. It all seems to be a social standpoint.

:confused: :confused:

8. KYHunter

KYHunter Guest

GSP, the difference is obvious, the reason that we have a season on mammalian predators is because they have some (although currently small) value to the harvester. Some CAN be used for food (yuck!!) and most CAN be used for their hides (I'm not saying they are). If you shoot a hawk, what are you going to use it for? It is the pointless killing of these very "charismatic megafauna" that will get the non-hunting community into an uproar. Yes, there a lot of hawks. Yes, there are more than there used to be. Yes, they eat just about anything they can catch. But do we want to permanetly damage our image by pushing for on open season on raptors, when the problem can be dealt with in a more "image friendly" way to our sport, i.e...habitat improvement. Just raising this issue in the wrong place will damage our great sport.

9. ashes

ashes Senior Refuge Member

well said, kyhunter!

10. GSP

GSP Guest

Yes KyHunter, well said. I agree with most of your statements except the "obvious". Yotes are hunted year around making their fur worthless in the spring and summer.
    This battle (killing hawks) will never happen and if it does, we hunters will lose much more than gained. This I agree with with all.
    I guess you are completely lost as to where I am going with this.
    The point I am/was trying to make was, the debate pitted two sides beating each other up while stating everything as scienitific fact. I just noticed that if everything was based on this fact. The equation would not be balanced by allowing the taking of mammal predators. I'm throwing out the fur issue, just stating on the predator issue. This seems much more a social/ public prespective issue than scientific issue.

I again state that this is not an issue that should be hard fought by sportsmen, it is a losing battle which could lead to the end of the war. I just wanted to post some food for thought on the "scientific issue".

BTW, I'll bet if you put little sunglasses on hawks, they would look like little Mafia hit men sitting on top a pole!

:D