Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Reference Material

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Harliduck, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

I think one of the most important tools of a taxidermist is reference material. Maybe some of the experienced fellows here can share what they use.

I personally am a waterfowl book collector. Whenever I am doing the "posing" portion of my birds I usually have around 6 books laid out in view. I also clip pictures out of magazines and print out pics on the web and my wife made me a scrap book. Raising waterfowl has really elevated my understanding of how birds should look, how they sit, rest, walk, etc. I could sit and watch them for hours....

One of the biggest mistakes "newbies" make is improper feather placement. Good reference and an understanding of how the feathers lay are important, study those pictures!

2. jusdukin

jusdukin Senior Refuge Member

I am no taxidermist, but have always taken pictures of ducks when I see them swimming in ditches or ponds. Seems it would be of at least some help.
    Mike

3. PJB3

PJB3 Elite Refuge Member

Another good reference is taking pics out of sporting magazines (DU, wildfowl, etc...)
    Also I always have a yearly calendar and each month has a duck. Mainly a DU calendar

4. muthagoose

muthagoose Elite Refuge Member

Hey Guys
    The Puter is one of the greatest tools ever .. I use it to confim position with clients. To burn copies of files to send to fellow taxi's..To edit digital photos..I scan picture out of magazines to file.. But one of the best is the site's like google,webshots to aquire refference.. Way easy to type in search and boom you have tons of photos to use...
    How many time as a pro have you heard this" you know what I mean," I preffere to recive a picture so that my clients recieve EXACTLY what they desire for thier trophy...
    If you need a photos some of the gunner's on here have a lot of pics they like to share..Well if you dont find just ask .Like harli I have raised hundreds of ducks and geese even a phesant ..I would always be willing to help out a anyone....

5. scw8998

scw8998 Senior Refuge Member

I have binders full of pictures of all different animals.Most of them were cut out of magazines.Its always good to use pics of these animals to help you through it.

6. BRETT McCUTCHEON

BRETT McCUTCHEON Elite Refuge Member

I take photo's, use magazines, anything i can get my hands on. Memory plays a big role. I have lived on an island close to ducks and geese all my life. Some are in my front yard in the summertime, but the winter holds many divers in the canals and on the lake here.

7. Duckboyoregon

Duckboyoregon Elite Refuge Member

John, you've created a MONSTER.

Well, its easy for me to say because I own a game farm. However, if ayone has an opportunity to visit one (everyone is welcome here) and can spend a few days, or even video tape the birds, there is NOTHING like live birds for reference. No matter how much time I put into a mount or how well I think i've nailed it, you cannot compair to the real thing and its terribly frustrating to create something i'm so happy with only to walk out into my aviary and see the actual bird and realize how far off I really was. I agree with john on the feather placement, but really feel that the biggest mistake i've seen in most mounts is leg placement and neck thickness and length. Also many people seem to be under the impression that waterfowl are to have the huge large breasts...when in fact the widest part of the bird is from just in front of the legs to its back. Like a boat, comming to a point on both front and back and widest in the middle. Something i've struggled with for years.

8. stuffinducks

stuffinducks Elite Refuge Member

The usual, Lots of DU magazines and specialized books for certain species.

Later SD

9. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

www.taxidermyreference.com Also ,if you go to the taxidermy.net site and go all the way down to "related links" theres a good bit of vitually untouched info out there . I have the Taxishop record keeping program in my studio and it comes with some good reference pics with option to load my own.