Refreezing meat

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by GBO, Jan 2, 2018.

1. GBO

GBO Refuge Member

I have always heard that you dont thaw raw meat and freeze it again. Like freeze a whole dead bird, thaw it and cut out breasts, then refreeze the breast.

I dont see why its such a big deal. Anybody know?

2. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I have thawed and refreeze 1 time without any problems. Done it many times with waterfowl and venison.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Often times, in the North areas, birds and other game are hung, to age. They freeze at times. Then they are processed, and re-frozen.

Re-freezing, in and of itself, isn't the problem. The problem is loss of texture. The water (blood, ect) freezing and thawing causes a change in texture.

4. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Hanging to age should be done between 40° - 50°...should never freeze- defeats the purpose

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Old wives tale. I do it all the time. Heck, right now dead ducks are frozen before I get home. Have to thaw them out to clean.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I don't control the weather. Regardless, it doesn't hurt them.

I agree, the 'aging process' is active at those temps. I am not accomplishing anything by hanging in freezing weather. I just got back a couple of weeks ago from a pheasant hunt. Had 6 roosters and some ducks. I don't have room in a fridge to store them, so they got hung. Garage temps dropped to about 20 degrees. For 8 days, they hung. Packaged them up the other day.

7. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Although unavoidable at times, freezing meat even once doesn't enhance it. Freezing causes ice crystals to form inside cells and rupture some of the cell walls. This causes meat to lose moisture and become less enjoyable. Freezing, thawing and re-freezing multiplies this greatly. If absolutely necessary, refrozen birds are best off in a sausage or jerky pile.

tcc likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

You said it better than I did.

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I probably read more into the OP than he intended, but I was always told it would cause the meat to spoil. I've heard such from numerous sources my entire life. That simply isn't true. Can it alter palatability? It can to a point, but it should be negligible if it was quality meat to begin with and properly processed.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  10. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

The problem is if it thaws and warms above 40 degrees, bacteria can start to grow causing spoilage when thawed again.

Vahunter likes this.