Refuge Carts! Ideas and designs

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by DBukiah, Feb 26, 2018.

1. DBukiah

DBukiah Senior Refuge Member

Any ideas and/or designs do's and don'ts? I want to build a 3 or 4 wheel cart that can be broken down a bit so it becomes compact. Looking to fit 2-4dz geese floaters and 10dz socks plus gear, or 5dz duck floaters. Thanks! pictures always welcome.

2. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

I recommend finding a used jogger stroller on craigslist. They generally have three to four wheels, they fold up great, and are very light. I used to use one and it did the job well. There are many guys on the CA forum that have some cool designs. Good Luck.

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. DBukiah

Yeah, but they're not strong enough for the weight I'm loading. Great for light loads though

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

DBukiah likes this.
  5. DoveMan

DoveMan Senior Refuge Member

I have had a Honker Hauler for 2 seasons and it has worked out well for me. Looked at it for 3-4 years before I bought. Beats loading up 2 game carts with bungees. Easier with 2 people, but still very manageable for one person on level to slight inclined ground; kinda depends on the weight. Mostly used in cut fields, but sometimes on mud flats and short field grasses.
    I saved a bit on it and ordered it minus wheels and bought them separate from Northern Tool.
    They have plans for them to make your own out of PVC, etc.

6. DBukiah

I was thinking of trying to build it all by myself. You think the parts are that proprietary?

7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I'm looking for something along these lines for moving a Gheenoe a few hundred yards to ponds.

8. DoveMan

DoveMan Senior Refuge Member

The DIY Honker Hauler is $150, and that includes the bag, axle brackets, etc. and the plans. http://www.decoycartz.com/?p=products
    An axle can be made on your own, but the bag is the right material to drain, and be durable enough to stand up to brush, and is lightweight enough. In my opinion if you need a cart that big it is definitively the way to go. When you add it all up - which they do on the website - it's hard to imagine them clearing more than $50-$100 per unit.

For a Gheenoe for a few hundred yards perhaps modify one of those gardeners yard carts with 4 wheels somehow?
    For my 75lb empty canoe I use a canoe dolly like those Cabela's sells, with a ratchet strap over the middle and some foam to not scratch paint. Walked it over 2 miles over old road and some mud flats a few years back. Soft mud/sand is a no-go though with bike-like tires. I really wanted to try beach/sand tires, but moved away before I had the chance

Fowler267 likes this.
  9. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

I cannot vouch for the diy but I have the cart and my go to walk in spread this year was 20 dozen silos 10 dozen snow socks 4 guys guns and gear with 4 layouts 1 guy in a wheat field half mile walk no problem

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Rogers decoy cart? Folds in half and the tires come off easily for transporting it.