Refuge hunt 1st or 2nd weekend of December

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by joshblack, Oct 10, 2018.

1. joshblack

joshblack Senior Refuge Member

iv had a lot bigger of a response to this refuge hunt then I thought I would. I’m going to shoot for setting this up the 1st or 2nd weekend of December. I’m leaning towards those weekends just because I can almost guarantee birds at that time. I’m going to to try my hardest to set this up on private land, but if the stars don’t align I am going to get guys where birds are going or atleast under them. Ducks or geese is undecided at this point, Birds are unpredictable. I am going to shoot for a maximum of 9 guys not including myself. I have a lot of gear but if a couple wanted to bring a layout, gear, or duck boat it would help and can be decided on as we get closer. This is just going to be a one day hunt as of right now. Would like to know a weekend/ day that works best for everyone and to just get the ball rolling. Once I have names and commitments we can figure out what works for everyone. This hunt could take place anywhere in the Columbia basin, most likely in the Moses area but like I said above birds are unpredictable and we will go where the birds are.

2. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I have 10 dozen Avian X mallard, gadwall and widegon floaters, 3 dozen Bigfoot floaters and a Phowler Extreme 1866 with Extreme hard blind. The boat will shoot 4 and a dog. If we chase geese I have 6 layouts, 11 dozen DSD lessers, 4 dozen sleeper shells and 500 Tanglefree snow socks and 3D heads.

Any weekend is good since I’ll be out anyway.

Meats likes this.
  3. joshblack

joshblack Senior Refuge Member

I’m counting you in as #1 jack. It’ll be good to finally meet you

4. birdhunter007

birdhunter007 Elite Refuge Member

I think you need more decoys...

5. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

I have 2 doz Cabelas Mallard floaters, 2 doz Cabelas mallard FB, I have 18 AvianX FB geese, 1 doz Avian X floaters,,18 GHG sleeper Geese....3 layout blinds..I also have 4 doz assorted divers on long lines... I can hunt high water, low water, and fields

6. billwnr

billwnr Elite Refuge Member

I've got some decoys also.... and a short commute. I should mention my dekes are lined with a 4' texas rig as I usually hunt shallow areas. My dekes are two or three dozen Avian X and I forget the name of the 2 dozen used ones I picked up from Spencer this year.

I also have 6 calls and blow them all the time out hunting. I have had cows respond.

7. CurrencyTrader

CurrencyTrader Senior Refuge Member

I can attest to Bill's ability to call cows........the 18 note hefer hail call is an amazing thing to hear......

Green Duck Truck likes this.
  8. RJW

RJW Senior Refuge Member

I used to be able to play the "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" on my duck call.If that helps. :sp

Green Duck Truck and Tool_Man like this.
  9. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

Just pick a weekend and stick with it Josh. I may be in Cali hunting the first weekend of December but only available for a Sunday hunt anyhow.
    10 dz dsd’s 10 layouts avain x duck floaters 5 dz “ black duck” decoys :dv, a couple dz divers.
    18’ war eagle boat

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I might be in depending on weekend. I have many dozens of fullbody and floater geese (no Dave Smiths...sorry), fullbody and floater puddle and diver ducks, a couple of layout blinds with snow covers and an 1852 Phowler boat with big shorttail mud motor to be able to get anywhere. No blind on this boat (my blind is on another boat) but she'll carry a big load on big water or just about anywhere you can get anything short of an airboat to go.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018