Refuge runner ?'s

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by msk, Mar 28, 2018.

1. msk

msk Refuge Member

Bought a used 2000's refuge runner in nice shape. Bottom was redone by Factory and it shows as it pretty perfect. I have a few ?'s for any owners...
    - I want to paint the top side as it has a goofy camo job for my area, Type of paint and what matches the factory 4 rivers green?
    -What length / style kayak paddle works best?
    -It has the full length doors, i want my dog along, i can make new doors. How do you guys handle or where do you keep your pup? Anyone use 4 rivers dog blind? + - 's?
    -Debating on the factory cover, anyone have one and do you like?

Thanks in advance!

2. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I also have a 4 rivers refuge runner and run a 7 hp mud motor on it.

Tom will be able to answer your first question the best and I'd suggest getting a separate dog blind (mo marsh type dog stand/blind) for your dog so he has his own spot along with the owner not having to worry about the boat getting pushed around if the dog breaks along with less water in the boat.

One of my buddies uses a layout boat bigger then the 4 rivers and at first had the dog with him in the blind but since then has went to a separate blind for the dog and it works a lot nicer!

3. msk

msk Refuge Member

Good points
    Thanks!

4. Kendall Steffensen

Kendall Steffensen Senior Refuge Member

I would also suggest a separate dog blind. I hunted two or three years with short doors and the dog sitting behind me. It worked well enough, but do not underestimate the amount of water that a lab can haul into a boat. I tried a plastic tub with a raised floor. It helped, but was still not idea. My wife gave me an Invisi-Lab for Christmas and it has worked wonderfully. I have a mud motor, so I can't reccomend a paddle. I do like the factory cover as it made it very easy to attach raffia grass.

Kendall

upload_2018-3-29_20-20-11.png

upload_2018-3-29_20-25-43.png

upload_2018-3-29_20-23-8.png

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  5. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

The best paddle for those boats is a mud motor haha. I have a 9 ft kayak paddle for my EBADS and I can move it just fine but I wouldn't want to paddle that thing a long distance.

6. msk

msk Refuge Member

thanks guys....bought a invisilab, on sale cabelas. I'm going the mud motor route but want a paddle to
    Still havent decided on paint color

7. lovetohunt

lovetohunt New Member

I have a push pole and then bought the paddle attachment for it. I have a mud motor as well and still use that push pole quite a bit.

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Ninety-five percent of my duck hunting takes place after the cattails and bulrush have died in the marsh. An olive drab/green boats stands out like the proverbial sore thumb. I've painted my duckboats dead grass color (tan) and it helps hide them during the majority of the duck season. Something to think about.

9. msk

msk Refuge Member

Thanks, was thinking the same. If I get the cover it wont really matter but I'm going to hold off on the cover this season and work on getting the MM. Like anything new, I have to work the bugs out haha