Relative felt recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sunklands, Apr 3, 2019.

1. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I recall reading an article a few years ago where they tested numerous big rifles and shotguns and measured the recoil. Cant recall if a 10ga was included, but the 3.5" turkey load in a 12ga won the prize for worst recoil. I know they had at least a .458 in the competition and I believe a .500 was in there.

I shot 3.5 turkey loads from an 870 for years, and it certainly thumps and I can feel a tender spot on the cheek for a day after killing a bird. Shot a few birds from awkward angles where the gun was closer to bicep than shoulder and certainly felt those for a bit. Now I have a 3" gas auto and only shoot 3" shells, usually in the lighter higher velocity loads 10gagenut has mentioned. They still kick but not like the 3.5.

I've been using a 20ga 870 more myself now that my son started turkey hunting. I choose to get birds close rather than try to extend my range, so any of above are perfectly adequate.

My dad has an old single 10 that hasnt seen the turkey woods for years. May have to break it out for nostalgia someday.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Fowler267 and Sunklands like this.
  2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

When you start getting older and a bit more decrepit like I am, you appreciate a bit less recoil. :l

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Just don,t sit your back against a tree when turkey hunting with that heavy recoiler . Makes a big difference in felt recoil when body can,t move backward with force. Learned that years ago with some 2 oz. turkey loads in a 3" 870.

Billy Bob likes this.
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The hardest recoiling weapon I ever fired was a mossy 835 with the plastic stocks, I think it weighed in around 7 pounds. Using the federal 3.5" 2 1/4oz turkey loads it felt like I was getting punched in the face and kicked by a mule at the same time. I never thought of the recoil in ft/lbs back then but it would be interesting to know.I fired 3 of them to check the pattern, fired one at my turkey that I killed at 11 yards :doh and gave 6 to a friend. I used to shoot a friends .458 and don't remember the recoil being near as bad. After thinking of shooting that combo I'm almost happy I have to use the lightest recoiling loads possible now. :l

Fowler267 and Farm4wildlife like this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Try a .460 Weatherby one time, I shot one at the range that a guy was nice enough to let me try. One shot was all it took for me......Wow what a gun !!

Billy Bob and OneShotBandit like this.
  6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Kills on one end & maims on the other!

Tuleman and 10GAGENUT like this.
  7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Last May the Nebraska Rio was shot at 37 yards with my whomper-stomper shotgun, Sweet Sixteen, 1 1/8 ounce of TSS #7's and factory MOD choke tube. Bird face planted at the shot and there was one (1) pellet in the breast when dressed out.

8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Years ago I patterned my SBE1 with those 3.5" 2 1/4OZ. #5 lead turkey loads. Shot off a standing rest with bags. Kicked like a mule. Buddy of mine who smithed for Benelli said that the recoil force in that gun w/that load was equal to a 500 nitro rifle. I concur with him. Did find out though that gun patterened better shooting 1 7/8 oz. turkey lds.

9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Same thing happened to me. My buddy said that the bbl looked like it jumped about a foot off the bag! We didn't test the pattern's off the bags after that! :D

10. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

When those first 835's came out I a best friends dad bought one. He is a big Hunter and decided he needed one. Where we hunted it is legal to carry both a bow and a firearm when turkey season and archery deer season overlap. Provided the shotgun has small shot. At least that's what I remember. Anyway I got envited to go out to the cabin ( Next state over) to hunt for the weekend. This father spoke to my parents and told them about how he put the kids in the treestands and tied us in and everything. I was around 13-14 years old at the time. My parents weren't hunters. I hunted but was trying to teach myself. So they decided I could go on the hunting trip with this experienced and well respected hunter.

To give a background of this hunt it was archery season but firearm turkey season was in. He had 3 "kids" with him. We all had 2 way radios to keep in touch with each other. The adult was the only one carrying a shotgun. We were spread apart several miles on different ridgetops hunting. About mid afternoon said adult came across the two ways and said he had turkeys coming in and was turning down his radio and wouldn't be talking. One of us kids could barely see him. I wasn't there but something like 500 yards between them. After a good amount of chatter between the 3 kids and the one who could kinda see the adult of the situation trying to give a long distance play by play we all heard a shot. Everyone was immediately asking if he got the turkey. After a little while the one who was doing the play by play said something didn't look right. Looked like someone was swinging. Long story short. Even tho it's already long. This master Hunter decided to take a turkey with his new 3.5" Mossberg and when he touched off the trigger it took him right out of his treestand. His bow and pack were on the ground with his radio clipped to it. Shotgun somewhere down the hillside. He was left swinging by his tree harness.

Needless to say when I was getting dropped off at home after the trip us kids were all too excited to tell my parents this story of our great guide.

Billy Bob likes this.