Reloading Retard here

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by DuckMan62, Dec 25, 2017.

1. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

Very much a newbie when it comes to reloading. I have a couple of reloaders. One is going back to MEC for a rebuild while I play with the Lee Load All II for 12/20 ga 3" shells.

I've never tried to load for steel shot with this cheap loader but it does well with the low brass stuff so far.

Any suggestions on info I need to look into for load tables and what not? There is not a lot of information made for this loader vs the more popular MECs or other brands out there.

Thanks.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Confused. The loader should not matter. It is what you put in the shell.

3. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

If your going load steel, your press is only used to prime and crimp shells . Shot and powder should be weighed

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

As was stated primarily your press is used to Deprime/Prime and Crimp shells. You would have to hand weigh shot charges, there other powders you can use besides Alliant STEEL however that's the main powder these days for steel shot reloading. There are no powder bushings made by any press manufacturer for Alliant STEEL because it won't meter properly through bushings so you have to hand weigh it also, you'll do fine with a Lee Load All.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    gadwall52 likes this.
  5. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

I understand what you guys are telling me, but with this press I do not know which powder and shot size I need to use.
    Sorry but I am VERY new to reloading.

So what you are saying 10gagenut is I need to hand weigh the powder and shot. Okay well I don't have everything I need for this stage yet.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You are NOT going to get the information you need here, typing posts. You NEED to buy a (or better yet, several) manual(s).
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Reloading-Manuals/products/16/
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...loading-handbook-5th-edition-reloading-manual
    https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Shotshell-Handbook-5Th-Edition/dp/B00162MK2M

The posters here are, for the most part, experienced and knowledgeable. That said, until you learn what you are doing, it is best to stay with published, tested, recipes.

7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

We were all at where you're at , at one time so pay attention it can be a fun ride !
    !st.....Go buy a Lyman's 5 th reloading manual.....and by the time you have read all the way to the recipe section , order a RSI manual !
    At that time you'll have many FUN Questions to ask and we can share some interesting facts too !

Welcome Aboard

10GAGENUT likes this.
  8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

A good manual as was stated would be a very good investment. For hand weighing a set of Lee Powder Dippers is a cheap and reliable weight to scoop both powder and shot for reloading, you can buy them just about anywhere like Midway or any of the above named suppliers.
    https://leeprecision.com/powder-measure-kit.html
    A good scale that will read up to 1000 grains is also a must, most of the digital scales are very good, for a balance beam type scale the RCBS 1010 is a very good.

9. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Powder and shot are based on the recipe you are loading. Shot size is whatever you want to shoot. Your press has nothing to do with what you load.

10. DuckMan62

DuckMan62 New Member

Got it.

Thanks guys.