Reloading Retard here

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by DuckMan62, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

duck -- If you are new to reloading steel, I would suggest that you start with a 12ga 1 oz steel load using components (Alliant Steel powder, hulls and wads) that you can locate and those that fit the hull. Yes, get a Lyman book and read it then come back here with specific questions, and you can find some steel load recipes on Allaint's web site.

Good luck!

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Why would one load 12 gage ammo with a 20 gage payload? You'd be giving up the only advantage the man's 12 gage has (over a smaller gage gun)......

3. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Less possibility of a major furbar.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yup. When learning to load with steel, best to start small, especially using new weighing equipment.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Or , you can do as I do ? I mostly load 1 1/16 oz , with 3's that's a 170 pellets with the velocity that sends the shot clear through most birds , and
    if your gun likes the load ( as much as mine does ) you can tight'n the choke down and raise your successful shooting out to 50 yds , if need be ! But that's
    when I change to shooting 1's , it really thumps them in the wind or around 50 yds .

California Flyway, JFG and 10GAGENUT like this.
  6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Yes Sir those are about the easiest to start out with, no spacers needed with the RSI wads, 3's or 4's kill the ducks!! I do hoard my Activ hulls for RSI 68.

7. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Having said that my favorite load for the 12 is one ounce of #5s. Back when we could shoot lead it was one oz copper 6s. In the 20 I shoot 3/4 oz 5s or 6s.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You know you could have the same effect with 3/4 oz of 3's ( 115 pellets ) if you can shoot straight ? That would be the same amount of shot ( 1's ) that
    I load in the 1 1/16 oz ! I can tell you the 3's will pound a duck about as far as a fella needs to shoot'em ! And not put a lot holes in your birds . It's all about
    how well a guy can point a shotgun , I load this same payload in my 28 ga , just over 35 yds it's a killer , then the pattern kinda thins out to be consistent .