Reloading TSS / Tungsten vs Hevi shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by CADUCKWHACKER, Aug 19, 2017.

1. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

Hi,
    I am very curious if anyone handloadsTSS shot? And if they do is it worth it? Or is it best to stick with tungsten or heavy 13? Looking for the best bang for the money. Leaning towards tungsten but open to all.
    Thank you for all of your help in advance.

2. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Ballistically the TSS is far superior to anything else, but you pay for it. Is the difference between it and HW13 worth it? Only you can decide that. Personally, my shooting is not good (nor are my pockets deep) enough to take advantage of a 60-70 yard TSS load out of a 12 gauge on ducks/geese every day. Turkeys/predators.....hmmm....now you have my attention.

Personally, I really like the Bucks Run HW13 for my 28. It does everything I need it to do at the limit of my duck/goose shooting ability.

3. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

Thank you guess I should of included bismuth into my question also saw an awesome deal from rorometals $159 per 10 lbs and free shipping, might just to see how well it performs 9.6g/cc and 6% tin looks promising any thoughts?

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With bismuth being about what the 15% of heviMetal's shot consist of , you'd have a great advantage shooting it !
    ITX 10 would be equivalent to your Bismuth loads ......I believe !

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

TSS in #7 loaded at 1 1/8 ounce in the sweet sixteen and the Briley IM tube has taken birds GYD in midair at 70+ yards, multiple times.

IMO, if you want to employ the absolute best, most lethal ordnance upon the birds, TSS is the pinnacle of it all. Anything less is a compromise in one degree or another.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I agree 100% TSS is the bomb, my only drawback from it is the $2-$3 a shell your cost to load TSS. Maybe I'm to practical but I don't plan on hitting a duck or goose with every shot anymore so I miss as much as the next guy, I don't think I would feel so great after missing with $3 a pop shells a few times in the field.

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

I really don't see how they justify producing the amounts of TSS that they do, unless there's a huge mark up past down to the consumer. I've talked to several folks that reload for ducks here in the depressed part of Missouri and none of them are using TSS or ITX. For large Canada geese or turkeys I'd like to see some SxS patterns with lead and steel at 50 yards.

8. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

20160120_112754.jpg
    TSS is bada$$ shot for sure. These birds were shot with a 28ga 13/16oz of #8 shot. I couldn't afford to shoot it all the time but on certain hunts it is a lot of fun. Choose your shots wisely this hunt cost me around $24 lol

goosenazi likes this.
  9. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

Did you miss or have to shoot each one twice? Just aggravating. What made you decide on 8's, seems like an awful small pellet for targeting geese specifically? Don't own a 28, just asking.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/tungsten-supershot-8s-mid-season-report.583342/