Reloading TSS / Tungsten vs Hevi shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by CADUCKWHACKER, Aug 19, 2017.

1. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

Now that looks like fun maybe I'll try TSS in one of my sub-guns and go bismuth in my 12 or heavy 13 or one of the ITX shots might help since I'm usually shooting an over and under and don't have to worry about the third throw away shot

2. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

I did wing 1 goose and had to shoot it with another shot. 2 shells were a swing and a miss. The guy I bought the TSS from suggested I try #8 for the pattern density for a 13/16's ounce load. Its a small pattern but a wicked one - when on target. 3 of the geese were DOA in the air. No flopping around on the ground. Just plain dead. I was quite surprised with the killing power of those little pellets. I have some #9 shot loaded for the 410 that I want to try out this fall.

With TSS I wouldn't think a guy would need to load more than a 1 ounce load with #7 shot. Bigger payload is not needed and its to expensive.

3. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

I've got an old A5 mag 20, that I'd like to try some out of. What would be the shot size and load size for 3" 20 gauge? The gun has a Carlson flush mount modified in the barrel.

4. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

You won't need a 3" hull. TSS is so dense that it takes up little space. It would take a lot of filler the fill up the hull.
    Apex Ammunition sells TSS & loaded shells. I've bought TSS from Toasty on here. And from Hal (Hawglips) over on duckhunting chat. If you buy from Hal he will share some loading data. Both guys are great to deal with.

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Last log in was late June. He comes in for a few days at a time, then goes back to his life. @Bug Doc

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ Thanx, NV as I wasn't sure whether or not he'd been shot by a jealous teenage lover.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I chatted with him a few months ago still in one piece anyways.

9. hawglips

hawglips Senior Refuge Member

TSS vs Hevishot is about like Hevishot vs Steel. Huge difference in performance.

Here's a note I got from a guy the other day: