Rem 700 .22-250

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Goose Sniper, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Goose Sniper

Goose Sniper Elite Refuge Member

Any one here shoot a Remington 700 22-250? If so what do you think about it. I am thinking about buying one as a varmit rifle. Thanks for all input good and bad.

2. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Like the 700 but I'd get a .223 unless you reload alot 250's aren't cheap to shoot. If you shoot alot the .223. As far as rounds go the .22-250 is a good round. Just my .02 Nocalhonker

3. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

Goose Sniper,
    I used to own one, but I sold it and purchased a Savage. :clap I have had this rifle for over 16 years without any problems of any kind. Extremely accurate right out of the box.....as is the reputation for Savage rifles. :tu I have 4 other hunting companions that have replaced Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers and Browings with Savage rifles....much to their satisfaction. :yes

With my reloads:
    3400 f.p.s. with a Hornady 52gr. BTHP, 1 hole 3 shot group at 100 yards.
    3855 f.p.s. with a Hornady 55gr. V-Max (moly-coated) 5 out of 5 inside a dime at 200 yards.

Good luck with your choices!
    Good hunting, Bowhunter57

4. Mike Rathnow

Mike Rathnow Senior Refuge Member

I own a 700 Rem in a 22-250. I still think it's one of the most accurate rifles out of the box. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. It has the bull barrel, I had the trigger worked, and have a pull right around 2lbs. Attached a Burris Signature 6x24x50 scope. I also shoot the Hornady 55gr. V-max Molly coated bullets. I also coat the inside of the barrel with Lymans Super Moly Bore Cream. This rifle shoots shot for shot just as good if not better than a Savage. But now, if we're going to trade stories about which gun is the best. It's buy want pleases you. Because this argument can go on forever. I have always been a Remington fan, and will never change my mind about the model 700. You'll get the same answers about what beer to drink, what truck to drive ect.ect. So your best bet is to buy what pleases you. :grvn :grvn

5. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

My primary varmint rifle is a Remington 700 BDL LH 22-250 with a Sightron 4-16X42 Target Scope. I glass bedded it myself and had the trigger set by a gunsmith to 2.5 lbs. With my favorite handload (38.5 grains of H380 and a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip), this rifle prints sub-MOA all day long. Remington made a run of lefty BDL 250's in the 80's that has never been repeated. I wouldn't sell this rifle at any price...

6. ckj1100

ckj1100 Senior Refuge Member

I would vote for a heavy barrel .223 as a first gun

The 22-250 is great but only out-shoots the .223 by about 100 yrds (most of us cannot tell the difference at that distance)

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

I have a Rem. 700 in 22-250 and it is probably my favorite rifle. If you can pick your shots, don't overlook it for deer and antelope. I especially like the 70 gr. speer bullet for the biger stuff.
    I first got my 22-250 for deer hunting about 25 years ago when coyotes pelts were going for $55. to $75. . While deer hunting Id find myself making a $75. coyote into a $25. coyote with my deer rifle. Of course not long after I got the 22-250 the fur prices took a dump, but thats another story.

8. 360guy

360guy Senior Refuge Member

Rem 700 ....I had one and really enjoyed the rifle. I think if your looking to buy an inexpensive rifle, you can't find a better one for the money. I think you can buy a Rem 700 with a matte finish and a syn. stock for less than $400. If your looking to buy more rifle like a 700 VSSF .. or something I would look at a couple of other guns. My partner still has a cheap 700 that he takes and uses as a carry gun. Still shoots less than one inch groups at a hundred yards.(with reloads) If your looking for a heavy barreled gun that your going to spend twice as much money for I would look at the savage. I don't have one but, have shot a couple. They do shoot nice groups. The big advantage to the Savage is you can adjust the trigger yourself. One of the first things a guy can do to make his rifle more accurate is to get the trigger worked, or buy a new trigger assembly. I think you can buy one for not too much more money the the Rem. I have the same scope as ND terminator ..Sightron 4-16X42 Target Scope...best scope for the money I have found. I guess it's all a matter of how much money you have to spend.
    If your going to shoot a bunch of ammo and don't reload the 223 would be much cheaper to shoot. If you reload it won't make too much difference. I would disagree with ckj1100 (no disrepect intended)the 250 has much better balistics than the 223. But again it depends on what your going to shoot with this and how long of shots you are going to take. I would agree with ckj1100 that inside 200 yds or so there is not going to be that much difference. But if your looking to shoot prarrie dogs at 350+ yrds. there is going to be a big difference.
    I shoot a 250 Ackey Improved ...Favorite load. 41grains varget ..50 grain V-max..magnum primers
    I also load some 55 grain V-max.... not quite as good as groups but I think they shoot better in the wind........I've tried some 40 grain bullets but they don't seem to shoot as well out of my rifle. Anything over a 55 grain gets worse because of the twist in my barrel won't stabilized the bullet. Just my .02 worth .....

9. Goose Sniper

Goose Sniper Elite Refuge Member

Thanks guys for the info...it is appreciated.

10. Jumpshootin'

Jumpshootin' Senior Refuge Member

I have an older Rem. 700 w/bull barrel in the .22-250 topped with a 6x24x50 Leopold Mark V CrystalView scope. I love it, and have never had a problem. Off of a bench it can drive tacks at 250yds. And this is with 55gr. Remington factory loads. I've never messed with other rounds looking for improvement. For hunting I mount a Harris bipod on it. I can hit anything that I can get the cross-hairs on.