Rem 700 .22-250

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Goose Sniper, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Goose Sniper

Goose Sniper Elite Refuge Member

Ok… now I am seeing a lot of information on how to properly “breaking in a rifle barrel” any one want to elaborate on this? Is there a tried and true method to do this? From what I found it is a clean the gun after every two shots for the first 20 rounds, and then clean after every 5 shots for the next 15 rounds and so on. This seems excessive.

Thanks in advance!

2. 360guy

360guy Senior Refuge Member

Goosesniper,
    Yes, that is the best way to break in a new barrel. It seems excessive but that is how I've done every new barrel I've ever had. Use Hoppes #9 and then use a copper solvent. (I use sweets) Take lots of patches and be prepared to spend a while doing this. It might be a pain but it will be worth your time.

3. NDTerminator

NDTerminator Elite Refuge Member

That's pretty much it, GS. Do this for at least 100 rounds. I personally clean after each of the first 10 shots, then after every 2 for the next 10, then after every 10 until at least the 100 round mark. Even afterwards, I never shoot more than 20 rounds w/o cleaning. The bright side is that during break-in, there is very little fouling involved in so few rounds, so each cleaning pause is quite short...

4. Goose Sniper

have heard that the screw in cleaning rods aren’t the best way to go as they can break (I used one on my .22 and it broke) and then could subsequently scratch the barrel if it breaks or bends while inside. So I have used a bore snake on my .22 and I am very happy with the results. I noticed that same brush and snake can be used on the 22-250.

The program is this put the metal weight into the chamber and let it drop to the end of the barrel and then pull the brush through a few times. Then do the same with the cleaning part (which is nothing more than an oversize shoestring) and pull that through a few times using the same method.

That should be sufficient and get the job done, correct?

Shotguns are so much easier LOL
    :l

5. NDTerminator

I think most guys hereabouts probably use Boresnakes. I have em' from 17 caliber up to 12 gauge. They are nice for a quick clean, but no substitute for a coated rod, bore guide, patches, and Sweets 7.62 Solvent...

6. impcyl2

impcyl2 Senior Refuge Member

I also own and shoot a Rem. model 700 BDL heavy barrel varmint, it is a older one, bought it in 1982, has a fixed 12x leupold on it, this rifle is a tack driver. I use it for wood chuck hunting on a couple of dairy farms in north Jersey.Depending in which field the cows are in, i can get shots as far as 450yds. Iuse the hornaday 53gr. match bullet and the 55gr. flat base with imr 4320 powder. I tried differant powders and bullets and found the above works great and real accurate. Was thinking of getting one of the new hot calibers, .22wssm or 204 ruger, but i don't think Rem. has one out in the varmint model yet. Then again between the 22-250 and my 221 rem fire ball, it's probally all i need. :tu

7. cowpoke

cowpoke Senior Refuge Member

Goose Sniper,

what version of the 700 in 22-250 did you get?

I am a 700 fan.

8. Goose Sniper

I bought the Rem 700 22-250 ADL put a 3X- 9 X 40 scope on it. Whats the best range to zero the scope at? Obviously it depends on your area you usually hunt but I was thinking 150 yards would be good. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

9. NDTerminator

I sight my varmint stuff in 1.5" high at 100 yards, and use a chronograph and ballistics program to chart each load's trajectory. If that were my rifle, I would bag those see through mounts and the iron sights. Get that scope as close to the centerline of the bore as you can. It's essentially impossible to get a consistent & repeatable cheek weld with a scope mounted that high...

10. roxie

roxie Moderator Moderator

Excellent advice, Jon. :tu