Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Remington Nitro Steel

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by ARHHH4, Dec 26, 2017.

1. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

wondering if anyone has shot this stuff? I am apparently a sucker and fell for the deal that Rogers was running for their black Friday sale. Bought two cases for like $69.99 each after the mail in rebate. My younger brother bought one as well. He complained the first day out about it missfiring. Said he had three of them that day. He hunted Christmas eve and had two more. We were thinking maybe his gun was jacked up. So today I go out to shoot mine for the first time. I bet I had ten missfires! Birds at ten yards; and click, click, click. I pulled every one of the shells outta my wader loops and threw em back into my bag...pulled out the ol Fiocci to shoot the rest of my birds. Had four pintails, all drakes come in and do it perfect and I couldn't do a dang thing about it....ten yards, and nothin....same happened with a group of mallards. Should've had my six but walked out with four instead. Any one else has an issue with this junk? I don't even know who to contact about it, but I doubt me and my brother are the only two out of the ten thousand cases they apparently sold during that deal facing this issue.

2. metalworx

metalworx Refuge Member

Remington nitro steel is all i shoot, and as of today, not had any misfires. I have shot it for years with absolutely no problem whatsoever

Jerry likes this.
  3. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Away worked for me.
    As a reloader I want to know.
    Did the prime fire or just indented and how deep.
    Remington is know to use hard primers in all their shell where Winchester use soft primers.

Jerry likes this.
  4. ARHHH4

Im not sure how deep some of them hit because I got to the point that when I pulled my trigger and didn't get anything, id slam my chamber back and just kick it out and let her sink into the water and hope that I had something on my next shot....wasn't doin me much good to keep em. The ones that I did look at however showed no indents at all though. Looked like I had pulled them fresh out the box.

5. DuckyPhe

DuckyPhe Senior Refuge Member

How old is your gun? Could it be time for a new firing pin?

I've never personally had any problem with any Rem shells or witnessed anyone having problems with them neither. But to be fair, I don't know many that shoot the Nitros for ducks or geese. I shot the STS exclusively for tourneys for many years and never experienced a misfire in all that time.

Chris

6. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Maybe a new pin, or a dirty firing pin hole...clean bolt....bad hammer hit....clean gun.....bolt worked slow in cold weather....clean gun and use little or a light oil or no oil at all.

7. GOOSEMAN#1

GOOSEMAN#1 Senior Refuge Member

Yes I too have had the same result happen from the Remington shells I bought through Rogers with the $100.00 rebate and thought the same thing ,just wondered if there was a batch of shells that were defected as I shoot a newer model Browning A5 and looked at the primer and was just a dent on 2 shell from the same box. Still waiting on my rebate check also lol

ARHHH4 likes this.
  8. ARHHH4

I'm thinking they knew somehow that they had a bad batch after they loaded them and came up with the rebate offer as a way to off set their production costs. There's no way that they'd lose money on their shells, but to run them as cheap as a lead target load for a period of time like this makes a guy wonder how bad we're getting hammered when we make a "regular price" purchase. I emailed Remington last night about it but doubt that I get much of a response back. I figured that I would need to call them instead of rogers.

9. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

they have run the same rebate 3 years now. They work perfectly for me.