Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Rend Lake Subs to be ALL draw this year

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by WhackmNstackM, Aug 19, 2013.

1. WhackmNstackM

WhackmNstackM Senior Refuge Member

Heard a nasty rumor over the weekend about the big muddy side of the subs going to a daily draw this year... I kinda brushed it off like I do every other year that its brought up and then was asked about it again this morning at work... so I thought I would call up there and check for myself... didn't get anyone at the office so I called up the number posted online for the biologist and he proceeds to tell me that its done deal and is just waiting for final approval in Springfield and that all he's waiting on is the signs to come in for placement..... :clap:clap bravo ILLINOIS you've done it again :mad::mad:

2. Fullbored

Fullbored Elite Refuge Member

I'm from the area and at first didn't believe it myself. Like you said rumors go around every year. But I have heard it from a few different people that i would call reliable. Heck i even went up there and ran everything in a boat looking for stakes or signs of something going on and didn't see anything.

From what i heard today(rumors) is they are going to pump early since there are no crops and that way they will have it staked before season :( I don't hunt it that often but I feel like there was some options they could of went with besides staking it.

Not to mention without any meetings

3. WhackmNstackM

WhackmNstackM Senior Refuge Member

you'd think being a PUBLIC hunting area they would of at least had a meeting for the public to attend and voice their opinions

4. Fullbored

One thing I know for sure it will be an interesting year. Wonder if they are going to hire more full times to in the wet side ? They would have to I think

5. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

Sad Sad Sad........:cry
    I literally grew up hunting with my dad and his friends on the subs at rend lake in the 80s and 90s. Even in those years of duck numbers being down a bit. I can remember days that there was not an entire minute btw LST and 1 that you couldn't look in the sky and not see a bird. And people killed ducks you didn't have to be in the 40 acre field, potato patch, buck creek, to kill a limit. A good duck hunter killed ducks.
    I have always considered waterfowl hunting an activity that gives back what you put into it. If you put in the time, have good equipment, and knowledge you will kill ducks. A draw takes a lot of that away and its sad. I think a draw actually makes it more crowded. Because now the lazy duck hunters know they can just show up at 415 and get the best spot on the lake it wasn't like that before. Now you have some "Duck Commander" was 2 dozen dekes, a blind with 4 willow branches, blowing a kazoo at some of the best spots on the lake and a guy with the a top notch rig and more knowledge in his little finger counting trucks go by next to the road. You don't even have to scout there you can just see were everyone else is going and draw a skake close to them.
    Whats next????? How long until freelance duck hunting in Illinois is a thing of the past????

6. jph

jph Senior Refuge Member

^^ Couldn't have said it better myself!

7. powerstroke

powerstroke Senior Refuge Member

Ditto

8. Fullbored

Freelancing in Illinois without a permit or daily draw is dead. I think they could of closed off buck and monitored the ramps a little tighter insead of going to the extreme

9. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

Not dead entirely, but most of the places were freelance can be done lacks large numbers of birds.
    I agree ith your second point. Close buck creek ramp to boats. It really had no use(besides another source of early entry) since the days of trolling motor only ended. Also enforce no lauching from 148. 95% of the problems solved with those 2 moves.

10. hercload

hercload Senior Refuge Member

I agree with all of the above. Carlyle walk in's are next, bet that. I really enjoyed hunting the Waltonville side and all the strategy and games that went along with it. This is all part of a negative change in the water fowling community.