Repair or paper-weight?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Blake C, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Blake C

Blake C Refuge Member

Lost the insert of my RNT MVP the other day. Didn't have a spare on my lanyard so only the barrel was attached.....of course....my most expensive call. Yes I have 5 calls on my lanyard, I actually blew them all on 1 hunt!! And we shot a few birds...imagine that.

Total cost for sending it back to RNT will be $100. It's tough for me to swallow considering 1) I bought it off of here at a discount, 2) I could never get the tuning right (too light and it pitched and locked up super easy), 3) I could nearly buy another WHOLE call for that!!

Hence my dilemma. Now that I think about it, this is the first hunt I actually took the dang thing on. I found with it tuned so light it was an awesome close range call, more so than my 40th DC that requires more volume. Would love to be able to sing on it for open water hunts when the last split opens, but I'm afraid I'll spend $100 to send it off and get it back in the same tune; struggle to never get it right, and end up mad I didn't buy something different. At that point I'll be $180 deep with the pretty flute. Suggestions??....or offers for a MVP barrel :sp

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

That seems a bit silly since they'd send you a new insert for $56 if you broke it instead of lost it?

If a customer wants to retain the broken part, it will cost $45.00 (any model) plus shipping of $10.95 (Proof of broken part must be provided). Total cost will be $55.95.

This includes:
    -Retaining parts because of sentimental value
    -Retaining parts for originality (Ex: Customers wanting to keep real scroll inserts, signed inserts, or jigged inserts)
    -Retaining parts for any other reason not listed above.

Those are a bunch of pretty down to earth guys, you might be able to get them to see the logic...

3. Blake C

Blake C Refuge Member

Lost parts will remain half the cost of the call model + shipping cost of $10.95. (If a broken part is not provided it is considered lost.)

($115) Microhen and Macrohen -$68.45
    ($125) Microgoose SS -$73.95
    ($135) Original, Specklebelly, Old Style, and Short Barrel -$78.45
    ($140) Mondo, Mondo LT, Alpha 2, Diablo, and Timber -$80.95
    ($145) Daisy Cutter and DS Diablo -$83.45
    ($155) MVP, G3, G4, G5, Barbelly -$88.45

If the call is no longer produced, cost will be based on $140.

Yep...it does seem like a bit of punishment for losing a piece vs breaking it. Although they do request "Proof of broken part" for some odd reason....even though the cost to them is the same. :confused:

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you didn't take the trouble to learn to tune the last one, so you'd seem best off getting the insert and asking them to tune it stiff/long for you. Then secure the insert to the rest of the call with a piece of string. None of this stuff is rocket surgery.

5. Blake C

Blake C Refuge Member

Thanks wisenheimer Rick! I am in fact a certified rocket surgeon. I could upload a picture of all the reed shards left from my tuning expedition, but that probably wouldn't help much. My only references for tuning a call have been here and Youtube. No one I hunt with has ever attempted such a feat. The MVP is the first call I've tried to tune, and in fact the only one I've ever had that "needed" tuning. I'm sure you're aware, these same cadences have been echoed about many MVPs on this site, most of which you've responded to, and many of which have voiced apprehension about tuning their own calls. It seems as though many MVPs are short or light, not allowing much volume prior to locking up. I'm sure my technical terms are off here. So I apologize that my efforts to tune my first call (one that seemingly shouldn't be sold at such a light tune anyway) were failed. And I'll have to secure another string on my lanyard, apologies again.

spaightlabs likes this.
  6. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Ain't a southern boy been born yet that can so no to a girl with a southern accent - have your wife or your girlfriend or both call for you and with just a little sob say she accidentally lost the insert and she'd sho 'nuff be grateful if they could help her out...

California Flyway and Blake C like this.
  7. Blake C

Blake C Refuge Member

Hahahaha....

NOW THAT'S THE ADVICE I WANT!! I put a call in and left a voicemail, we'll see what the verdict is. Lord knows I need their help to tune the darn thing anyway, it couldn't be worse than when I got it.

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

The odds against anyone you're not sitting with tuning a call that fits you as well as one you've properly tuned yourself are HUGE. Here's a copy of my method...

OneShotBandit likes this.
  9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Bite the bullet and get a Lares or Echo.

10. DuckNoobie

DuckNoobie Senior Refuge Member

Sometimes an MVP may take a reed with a very odd dog ear cut to get it sounding as good as that particular insert will allow. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box when cutting your reeds.

OneShotBandit likes this.