Replacing compound bow string???

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by cormier1, Aug 19, 2015.

1. cormier1

cormier1 Senior Refuge Member

Hi guys and gals. I need to replace the string on my reflex Ridgeline 32. It a 2009 bought left over brand new last fall 2014. I hunted it last fall and got my first deer with a bow. Nice 6 pt. Now its supposed to be 32" from axle to axle but i have 32 5/8". So i want to replace the sting on it since it stretched. Or is 32 5/8" acceptable??? Do i need to replace the cable also or just the string?

thanks

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Unless you shoot it a whole lot, it shouldn;t need replacing, but it;s a good idea to keep a spare string that's been broken in.

Unless the coating is worn or damaged on the cables, they should last for the life of the bow.

3. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Not completely true. Eventually if you shoot enough arrows through a bow, the strings/cables will become too worn. My best guess is the strings/cables on the OP's bow are not top quality (which similarly was the case on my 2 Bear bows purchased last year - Agenda and Motive). His 2 options would be to take it in to a certified dealer and have them get it back in specs (axle-to-axle and brace height - which can and do come out of spec after a string stretches or if the bow is shooting fine), or replace them with a set of aftermarket ones. If doing the latter, and the bow is shooting well at the moment, make sure to mark cam and limb and cam and string/cable crossing points. That way, you can get the bow back in tune easily.

4. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

And fwiw, nearly every quality string maker recommends replacing the string AND cables if you're going to replace either.

5. widgeon

Yes, that's why I put in the "unless you shoot it a whole lot." :)

I use my bows strictly for hunting and just shoot enough to stay proficient. Never had an issue with cables.

Target shooters may have a different experience.

6. cormier1

cormier1 Senior Refuge Member

Well i took my bow in the local Cabelas bow shop and got it checked out. He got the specs for my bow and took all measurements. They where all well within manufacturers limits for the axle to axle and brace height. So he said i don't need to replace anything. He then tied on a new loop on my string, set my peep site to my eye at full draw and then we tuned it. I am now shooting a nice 1" group at 25 yard and the noise went down quite a bit. When i asked him how much i owed him he said nothing. So i walked out with a dozen arrows, a new quiver and a pack of grim reaper broadheads. All in all real happy with the new set up. I never really had anybody show me anything about shooting all self learned. He gave me great tips and pointed out some of my mistakes. It all payed off with nice tighter groups.

7. widgeon

Great! Those GR are the ticket. Good luck!!

Our season opens in two weeks!!! Can't wait.