Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Reports

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by mrmallerd, Sep 12, 2014.

1. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Dean your area of North Dakota is unique on the mallards this year. Many areas that have offered consistent field hunting have been rather dire this year.

2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Certainly can't say your wrong since I have not scouted out of it. Mind you what I call "my area" is vary large it stretches almost a hundred miles north west to south east and around 50 miles wide. Snows seem to be pushing into the area in real numbers now so the big push has started to reach 94 witch is clearly north of Brandon of course!:dv

3. Ohferducksake

Ohferducksake New Member

Finally got a cold spell here in Southern Alberta. Can't wait to get out tomorrow after working the last 5 days! I hear they're finally moving. Can't wait to find out for myself!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

We ran a similar swath (actually at times even larger) with four core areas that are no where close to each other in NW/NC ND. Makes for some long and expensive scouting trips. My brother worked with farmers in each area, but what they see and what is actually huntable is often vastly different.

5. tealdog

tealdog Senior Refuge Member

This is the first push at best the true greenheads and honkers will come mid month nov every year snows break the border nov 1 Epic !!! Write this down

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

And where in MT are you. Unless your in the far NE corner it has nothing to do with how it works to the east. Even if your in the far far NW corner it still has next to nothing to do with the MB birds. If you look at the treeline itit like the pothole region slanted from northwest to southeast. This means birds in eastern Manitoba only have a hundred and fifty or so miles of fields before they hit the United States border versus Alberta where they have several hundred miles. so the speed at which they reach the border can vary dramatically from west to east. By Nov 1 the snows will be starting to push in numbers into SD and you can bank on guys all the way to Texas will be seeing there first snows this week!

7. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

Bang...this front that moved through wake up any mallards for you?

I have a couple buddies just south of you that said that light switch just turned on.

Said they did get snow but didn't last long. Switched from hunting snows to hitting the greenheads

8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I traveled nearly 800 km last couple of days. Saw some ok numbers of Canada geese and the odd flock of snows, but very few mallards or pintails. I travelled south and west into SK with little result.

I went tonight locally and found maybe 40 birds in a field. I might try it tomorrow for something to do, but I certainly won't be expecting much.

Most of the shallow marshes have tightened up, but big water and rivers are still wide open. Rice lakes devoid of birds.

The great "northern " influx of birds never happened.

What you see is what you get. Better hope for large amounts of local birds farther south, as we are not going to send much down there.

9. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

This pic was taken this morning, southern Sk

[​IMG]

10. tealdog

tealdog Senior Refuge Member

Cant be dean nelson said the big push is over